NEEDLES (AP) — San Bernardino County authorities say a 300-acre fire that destroyed an abandoned building is standing still and crews hope to have it fully surrounded by Wednesday evening.
County fire spokeswoman Tracy Martinez says the blaze is 50 percent contained and no homes are threatened.
The blaze broke out Tuesday just south of the Jack Smith Memorial Park in Needles, a desert community on the Arizona border.
It was pushed by 25-mph winds. At its peak, more than 100 firefighters battled the blaze.
County fire investigators determined the fire started when the wind blew embers from an unattended campfire into thick vegetation.
(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)