Republican Party Member Apologizes For Racist Email

IRVINE (CBS) —  The Orange County Republican Central Committee will meet tonight to discuss the email party member Marilyn Davenport forwarded to her friends with a picture of President Barack Obama’s face on the body of a chimpanzee.

According to committee member Tim Whitacre, Davenport is not expected to attend the meeting because she has received death threats.

The email featured a picture with Obama’s face superimposed over a baby chimp’s face over the caption, “Now you know why — No birth certificate!”.

In her apology Davenport said, “To my fellow Americans and to everyone else who has seen the email I forwarded and was offended by my action, I humbly apologize and ask for your forgiveness of my unwise behavior.”

The Fullerton resident went on to say, “I say unwise because at the time I received and forwarded the email, I didn’t  stop to think about the historic implications and other examples of how this could be offensive.”

Davenport labelled herself an imperfect “Christian lady who tried her best to live a Christ-like honoring life,” and said she would she would never do anything to intentionally harm or berate others regardless of ethnicity.

Republican Party of Orange County Chairman Scott Baugh said other than passing a resolution critical of Davenport there’s not much action the committee can take against her.

“The bottom line is state law precludes the committee from terminating her membership,” Baugh is quoted as saying. “She’s an elected member, elected by the public, and there are very narrow reasons you can remove her and her racist e-mail is not one of them.”

The committee can adopt a resolution condemning what she’s done and encourage her to apologize and to resign.  However, Central Committee member Whitacre said the call for Davenport’s resignation is “outrageous”, stating that Davenport should not be punished because she has apologized.

“I don’t condone the email — it wasn’t a wise thing to do and it shouldn’t have gone out,” Whitacre said, noting that the email didn’t go out with party letterhead and that it was sent from her personal account.  “But you don’t use a ton of bricks on someone when a switch is necessary.”

Davenport will appear on Anderson Cooper’s show on CNN Monday night.

Comments

1. Delores Williams says:

Look what it took to get her to apologize. And lets not forget the “I have black friends” shot. My problem with her is she REALLY doesn’t think she did anything wrong/offensive. She is only apologizing because of pressure. Kinda like a kid caught with his hand in cookie jar. He is only sorry because he got caught. Further, she seems to do stuff like this quite a bit and then say “It was a joke.” Really, comparing the President of the United States to a chimpanzee is a joke? Yeah, it’s hilarious.

1. soldier says:

It’s a wrongful act when you are part of a political organization. You can email whatever you want because your another fool off the streets.

2. Abdul Kareema Wheat says:

“Really, comparing the President of the United States to a chimpanzee is a joke? Yeah, it’s hilarious.”

Yea…dope….google has 5 pages of Bush as an ape too. Was that funny to ape lovers like you? Or wasn’t the the President too. You libbie whiners have shot memories. Especially when it comes to your shot fuses, ethics and above all…hypocrisy.

2. Mike says:

The article says it all…Tea Party(Bagger), Republican and Orange County, Calif!

1. Saber 1 says:

Not a thing wrong with this family photo. You can see a striking resemblance

1. ely says:

yeah looks like your moma and poppa

3. x says:

Saber 1 must be the one in the middle.

1. Saber 1 says:

Oh your so funny. Be honest, see the striking resemblance?

1. ucla alumni says:

Yes, the chimp in the middle looks a lot like you Saber1. Oh and you should really try to get your GED. But somehow I doubt that will ever happen…

2. idiot above says:

Saber you’re an idiot. It’s you’re not your. Goes to show who we’re dealing with..

3. mikey says:

take your meds and close your trailer door you racist!!!!

4. Allen Parnell says:

She was better off leaving her first comments than giving this obvious forced apology.

5. alice says:

This whole thing is so disgusting. I am not sure which is more revolting the woman’s stupid action of the news media – including kfwb who keep trying to stir things up by continually positng this vile foto on the front page. When did we all get to be such hat mongers! I am just so sick of it all!

1. Hat Hater Jones says:

Yes, I too hate HAT mongers. Why do they always insist on wearing hats?!!!! Down with the hat mongers!!!!

6. Alice says:

that’s HATE mongers not hat mongers….but I am sure you all know what I ment

7. Guest32 says:

I wish she would tell us who originally forwarded the email to her with this blatantly racist image. She certainly is a fool for forwarding it, but I’d like to know who doctored it up thinking it was funny and sent it to her initially.
    Since she is not the author, I’d like to know who created the Photoshop image to begin with and then send it on to her.
    My money is on Jason Levin.

8. MAC says:

Typical o.c. republican trailer trash types! orange co. has always been a racist ghetto.

9. Joyce, Sherman Oaks, Ca. says:

Oh wow! I was raised her in Southern California all my life. I am now 50 plus and an Africian American. I was truly blessed, my family didn’t sit around the dinner table and talk about how “whites were racist” even though many are. As an example of a few comments on this web site, admitting on there own. It allowed me to judge whites and blacks on there on merit. Thier are a few idoits in all races. As for Madam Davenport, she is from another era. She now know if nothing else, she can never, ever say anything close to that again!!!! And for the young racist brought up in that environment, YOU better be careful, if you want your jobs and dignity

10. BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE says:

TOO BAD THE MONKEY WASN’T STICKING A BANANA UP IT’S BUTT or Better Yet PICKING ITS NOSE !!!
    This is really funny !!
    Going to use this photo on my Christmas cards this year !!!!

1. Robby Logan says:

Yeah, like your trailer trash family knows how to read. When does Uncle Dad get out?

11. tommy says:

It’s absolutely pathetic that anyone with 0.001% of common sense would think that picture acceptable! I just pray his children didn’t see that! As a veteran of foreign war, I am ashamed of what my country has come to. Does anyone remember the fall of Rome?????

1. Bill O'Reily says:

I agree, but that is just the point, she has no common sense. Of course she throws other christians under the bus as well, by saying she is ‘just a good christian lady. What a Load of B.S. It’s too bad that the Republicans will still condone this as a “joke”. I won’t forget.

2. Martin says:

Yes,the fall of Rome. America won’t fall because of stuff like this. It will fall because of our open borders lazy citizens milking our country dry on welfare,children being born out of wedlock with no father figure. Crime stats say it all. Don’t try to place the blame for the demise of America on anything but the real reason why.

12. HA HA HA says:

MY NEW CHRISTMAS CARD FOR THIS YEAR !!!

13. tommy says:

Better yet boogie oogie, to bad you weren’t sticking up his BUTT!!!!!!

14. Raymon DeBrane says:

I think eveybody is so concerned with hurting black peoples’ feelings when what we ought to be concentrating on is cleanin up the violent black crime in our cities. They are making city and section 8 suburbia unliveable with their violent crime. The police in those areas have a tough job to do and I support their efforts. But the cops are being killed by blacks at an alarming rate nationwide. One 27 year old cops was killed recently by a violent black man in Lakewood NJ. I think the blacks owe us all an apology for their appauling behavior before we apologize to them. They are behaving like the savage apes they are compared to.

1. Carol says:

You are stereoyping bkacks when the topic is a racist email and sounds like you’re excusing it by pointing out what some people may do.

2. ELY says:

You got to be F*#@”&^% kidding me. You folks invented violence,and tought it to the world: Slavery and the horrible atrocities, Atomic bombs…………. Now do you remember–NOME NUTS The list is long VERY LONG!!!!!!

3. OOO says:

What about slavery & the KKK?

15. Guest32 says:

Here is what I think:
    1) She SHOULD lose her job. If she didn’t realize this was going to raise a stink then she’s too dumb to be representing the tea party.
    2) She should be FORCED to give up the name of the person who sent it to her.
    I want the lynch mob to go all the way back and hang Jason Levin.
    3) “You can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig”.
    Someone needs to tell Obama that blatant sexism is also not nice nor acceptable.

16. DystopiaInMyHead says:

Presidents have always been the targets of political satire, especially the use of simian like features. Other groups have been as well way before the blacks, i.e. the Irish. Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter, both Roosevelts, Kennedy, etc have all been made to look like apes. Obama’s natural features (being more African than European looking) are clearly incidental. The first thought should not be racism. The mom in the photo is also made to look like a monkey whereas Obama’s mother is clearly European American. Personally, I think it is more likely that this is an attack on his intelligence than it is racially motivated. People should actually think about this before pulling the race card, which includes bleeding heart white liberal hipsters with so called white guilt that are as valuable as their LAC BA they earned by dropping $40 of the parents money a day on weed.

Notwithstanding, she is an ignorant Tea Party member, which is just as bad as a filthy liberal hipster.

17. Carol says:

Someone who would send such a racist email doesn’t belong representing her communiity.

18. dez nutz says:

She looks like that old freaky looking granny on the See’s candy boxes.

1. Carol says:

She looks sneery and upity!

19. What’s the big deal? PC BS run amok. She forwarded this thing and did not originate it. I’ll be the self-righteous dirtbags who are whining their butts off over this petty incident won’t admit that Comrade ObaMao is by far the most corrupt and dangerous cretin ever to occupy the White House either. Go figure.

20. Robby Logan says:

Typical republican lowlife – clueless, ignorant, racist to the core of her soul and
    just
    doesn’t
    get it.
    That’s why the GOP is extinct, and I say good riddance to bad rubbish.

1. mama.cia says:

I agree with you Robby Logan. She is a bigot and a liar; A Christian would have Never forwarded such trash.

21. john smith says:

So what, I’ve seen Ex-president Bush in mock-up monkey photos. Why is this any different?

22. Rich Mexican MD says:

Wow. This lady keeps making the whole she’s in deeper. I like how she tried to stabilize her position by using using her faith. The old ‘ I’m (insert religion here) and I we ( insert religion here) try to live like (insert important person in religion here) ‘ excuse.

23. tkl says:

well the truth is that black people like or not! of all people in the world they are the ones that most resemble chimpanzzis …

24. Rebbie says:

It’s too bad there are such mean stupid people that say really mean ignorant stuff! There were a lot of good coments and dialogue and others wanting, needing to vent and condemn her actions.

I don’t often read threads cuz there is so much nasty ugly mean comments throughout threads from the likes of Saber1 and others.

Miss Davenport had no clue that by forwarding an email it would have such ramifications and well she got caught with her panties down around her ankles exposing who she really is and inhope she resigns and the whole ridiculous tea party with her!

An Orange County Resident

25. DCZ says:

No matter what she thought, or all other parties involved, this display of bigotry is absolutely unacceptable! WE are talking about the President of The United States!
    She should step down on her own, and the republican party should support this. The hell with freedom of the press and what people can get away with and not be accountable for their actions.

26. Republican says:

Our last Republican President was the brunt of far worse by you lefties. Get over your stupid race card. Obama sucks, and he’s hiding his past, too bad you can’t get it.

Personally I can’t any pictures of O the great liar.

27. Edgar says:

She’s old enough to know better. Retire her. Too racist or stupid or old amounts to same thing… next!

28. Republican says:

Notice she did not apologize to the President himself. It’s unfortunate that elementary school methods of bullying are present in our government offices. If one claims “would never do anything to intentionally harm or berate others regardless of ethnicity” then one would not forward an email that does just that. Furthermore, the ongoing racist comparison of black persons with monkeys, apes, chimps, and gorillas is ridiculous in the world we live in today. In regards to our previous president who will go down in the hall of fame as the worst president in history I do not recall him being compared to an animal which is the main demeaning point of her slur. If people sit down and think of all the fear and anguish at President Obama’s election and presidential term, they would realize that the people who do things like this woman in this article are grasping at anything and everything to undo what has been done. I’d hate to be president with this crowd they would probably go back to medieval claims such as woman’s disease and that being emotional means you have a mental illness and women should be barefoot in the kitchen. It’s really not about race or politics its about being backwards and trying to negate all that’s been done to untwist the minds of american ancestors that made them oh so Hitler like back in the day. Grow up and evolve. Small children don’t even stoop so low. and the comments that are only acceptable pre-civil war era make you less intelligent than the monkeys chimps bull frogs, wooly mammoths and other animals that can recognize they’re own species. smh. lame adults and the mislead children of the ignorant. Really think anybody running for president would be dumb enough to try and run without qualifying lol. That was only the idiotic idea of the ignoramus who brought it up think about a lot of things including this.

29. chris says:

“The chicks have come home to roost”. We have been taught from our mother’s womb that we have evolved from monkeys so what is the problem. Since we have “supposidly” evolved from monkeys, I would think our actions will also be allowed to act like a monkey as well. . YOU ARE REAPING WHAT YOU HAVE SOWN in all of us while we have had to sit and submit under everything you are teaching us. The irony is this: YOU SAY we evolved from monkeys so expect those who believe in evolution taking pictures of their ancestry seems very appropriate. It is time for you to BE OFFENDED because these are the seeds you have planted and the harvest has come..

1. Carol says:

@ “chris”, you don’t even make sense!