Former Anaheim Man, 49, Charged With 1992 Beating Death Of Live-in Girlfriend

SANTA ANA (CBS) — A 49-year-old former Anaheim resident appeared in court Monday to face charges he allegedly beat his live-in girlfriend to death 18 years ago.

Lawrence Jerome Smith was charged with murder in connection with the Sept. 21, 1992, beating death of Rosalyn Hamilton in their Anaheim home, Deputy District Attorney Larry Yellin said.

Smith’s bail was set at $1 million. He is scheduled for arraignment on April 22.

Smith is accused of beating Hamilton into unconsciousness, and then driving her to La Palma Hospital, where he told doctors and nurses he found her unconscious and he had no idea why, Yellin said. When he was told it appeared she had been beaten, Smith ran away, Yellin said.

Investigators suspected Smith at the time and had some evidence, but not quite enough, Yellin said.

“He had blood on his shoes, but they were unable to determine forensically whose blood it was,” Yellin said.

Improved technology helped investigators determine recently it was Hamilton’s blood on Smith’s shoes, Yellin said.

Comments

1. Emma Hamilton says:

OMG Rosalyn hamilton is my aunt and we have been waiting to hear this news for a long time

2. Reed Family says:

Rosalyn was my older cousin that was tragical killed by Lawrence Smith. I would like to take this time to thank all the law enforcement involved in solving the cold case that happen 19yrs ago. Now my family can finally have closure.

Once again Thank You & God Bless

1. shuranda okonji aka wilson says:

First of all i wanna say as rosalyn’s daughter shuranda wilson, i would really appreciate it if the reed family can stay out of my momma’s business cause it’s not closer for your family it’s closer for her kids, you guys didn’t even like her kids or barely like her and my momma don’t have no family, yhe only family she ever had in her life is her kids and if you last name don’t start with hamilton please keep your concerns and opinion’s to yourself cuz me are my brothers don’t give a damn about you reed family. thank you and if you have anything you would like to say feel free to get my number from noon and holla at me so i can tell you how i really feel about all of u.

3. larry e wilson says:

i am the fater of shuranda wilson, i can not believe they had this guy and let him get away. you maen to tell me that back in 1992 the police dept did not have a crime lab to tell whos blood was on his shoe. come on now i can not believe that are is it just that they really messed up like they always do, i hope my diugther gets a lawyer and sue. how can they the police just now after eighteen years can tell whos blood that was on his ahoe when they should have done their job in the first place.

4. larry e wilson says:

i am the father of shuranda wilson, i can not believe they had this guy and let him go, you mean to tell me that back in 1992 the police dept did not have a crime lab to tell whos blood it was on his shoe.come on now i can not believe that are is it that they just really messed up like they always do, i hope that my daugther gets a lawyer and sue. how can they the police just now after eighteen years can tell whos blood that was on his shoe when they should have done their job in the first place.

5. shuranda okonji aka wilson says:

i wanna thank the police officer who stayed on my mom case. now me and my brothers have closer and that”s what it’s about me and my brothers and we will get justice

6. Glynus Bryant-Burton says:

I am sooo HAPPY that this BEAST has been caught!!!! Rosalyn was MY Bestfriend and I miss her dearly, I’m Glad that there is closure for her daughter Shuranda & her 3 Sons, I am so sorry that you all had to live with this huge mistake that was made years ago, I agree with Larry 100%.. Shuranda I wish I could talk with you, I’ve only seen you once since this happened, and just HUG You all, email me if you can, I still Love you all and miss you all so much!!!! “SEE!!! THERE ARE SOME GOOD OFFICERS.”

7. Glynis Bryant-Burton says:

Glynus Bryant-Burton

1. shuranda okonji says:

hey glynis if you can leave me a message on facebook with your number. my facebook page say shuranda okonji and leave me your number in the inbox and i will call you.

8. Rita L. Bryant says:

I am so glad that they finally caught this man and did not give up looking for him. People who do wrong should always remember that what’s done in the dark will soon come to light. Hi Shuranda, I’m pretty sure you don’t remember me but I knew your mom very well we all were very close, but her and glynis was real close. Im glynis sister rita, and we all hung out all the time. I hope this bring you and your brothers closure. Even though it took all these years to bring this evil person to justice I too would like to thank the Police Dept. for not giving up on this case. Rosalyn was a good friend, a great person and she kept us all laughing all the time. Stay strong and positive Shuranda, keep your head up.

9. Brenda Hill says:

Before this happen Rosalyn call me she told me she miss me and she wanted to see me i told her ok but i never got to go see her Rosalyn you are missed. Brenda Hill