Can Connecting On Facebook Lead To Divorce?

STUDIO CITY (KCAL9) — Can social networking lead to divorce? A new study just released shows that 1 in 5 divorces cite “Facebook” as the cause of the split.

Marlo Gottfurcht stopped by KCAL9 Monday to talk about her book, “Love, Marriage…and Facebook.”

Gottfurcht logged on to the site when her own marriage was deteriorating and found that connecting and reconnecting with people from her past sometimes led to unexpected results.

She gathered stories from dozens of people in similar situations for the book, which opens up questions on how relationships, dating and “friendships” are changing because of how we relate via Facebook.

To purchase “Love, Marriage…and Facebook,” click here.

Comments

1. Denise says:

I watched the interview and agree wholeheartedly with Ms. Gottfurcht. People write things not realizing the way they are received. ‘Hi sexy’ might mean nothing to a happily married or committed person, but to some aging, lonely single reader it takes on a whole new connotation. Perhaps profiles should include much more personal information such as “Happily Married”, “Not Looking”, “Just Looking for Old Classmates”, and so on. The author is so right on that the pokes and texting can lead to emails, phone calls, secret meetings, and whatever comes after. I know far too many people to whom this has happened. And for anyone on Facebook looking for a partner, stick with match.com or eharmony…stay out of others’ relationships if you’re looking for love!

1. Danielle Wilson says:

denise i dont agree with you at all .. when you sign up it does ask if you are married ,kides etc… NOW PEOPLE TEND TO LIE OR JUST LEAVE IT OUT,, people dont FACEBOOK TO CHEAT HELL THEY CHEAT IN PERSON AND THEY LIE IN PERSON.. FACEBOOK DONT MAKE PEOPLE CHEAT..PEOPLE MAKE PEOPLE CHEAT .. FACEBOOK IS GREAT TO MEET NEW PEOPLE AND RECONNECT WITH PEOPLE YOU HAVENT SEEN A LONG TIME I LOVE IT …SO WHEN WIVES OR HUS CHEAT AND IT HAPPEN TO BE WITH SOMEONE THEY MET ON FACEBOOK NOW IT’S FACEBOOK TO BLAME HOW SAD… THE OWNER OF FACEBOOK SHOULD CRACKING UP IT’S FUNNY…AND SOME PEOPLE DONT EVEN IF YOU ARE MARRIED..THATS LIKE BLAMMING CELL PH. COMPANIES IF YOUR MAN WAS CHEATTING AND GIVIENG OUT HIS CELL NUMBER.. HOW SAD.. AND TO THE LONLY LADIES YOU DONT ASK IF THE PERSON IS MARRIED DONT MATTER THE PROFILE SAY I WOULD STILL ASK .. WHO WOULD SO STUPID TO MEET SOMEONE THEY MET ON A NON DATEING SERVICE .. FACEBOOK A DATING SERVICE..

2. Facebook = Poison says:

Yeah, I agree. I’ve personally come to realize that Facebook is poison for relationships and families. I can definitely see how FB can destroy a marriage and tear apart a family. The members are still responsible for their actions and their words, but FB provides a secret avenue to engage in infidelity. (Yes, men, viewing inappropriate pictures or exchanging inappropriate messages IS infidelity.) I wonder how the CEO (what’s that young kid’s name?) of FB sleeps at night knowing that HIS money-making project destroys 1 in 5 marriages? After my experience in torn relationships due to FB I deleted my account and have never looked back. You wouldn’t believe the amount of stress and heartache I’m spared because FB is no longer part of my day/life.

1. DANIELLE WILSON says:

I have heard it ALL ..facebook doesnt make couples cheat on each other .. I can’t believe want to facebook… FACEBOOK HAS no control on what people say or lie about and they do they lie…. Facebook is not a person.. its a chat room.. men and women should know how to act when they are on facebook they get on there and tell all there business.. why would a married man or women get on facebook and start an affair this is not MY SPACE.. we choose to login on FACBOOK.. this is pittful .. people need take responbilties fo them selves and not FACEBOOK.. IT’S NOT A PICK UP ROOM UNLESS YOU ARE SINGLE…. GET OVER IT..DANIELLE

3. KeithS says:

I guess the word “cause” is what I’m uneasy with. By that, I liken it to the old theory questioning whether an affair starts before the sex takes place or after the sex. In essence, a person is obviously unhappy to begin with and wants to add something new to their life. I agree with Denise’s point that a simple statement can be interpreted differently by different people; that is a pitfall of email,posting, etc these days. But it goes both ways. Affairs and divorces were taking place long before Facebook except spouses had to take the time to physically look for an affair and work harder to determine if the other person was interested. Facebook simply removes that effort – you can bypass the sneaking around after work and get to the point right away and more importantly, end something before it starts and never have to face the person. If someone wants something bad enough, they’ll find a way to get it, computer or no computer. To say Facebook “causes” divorce; I think that is a stretch. Maybe “makes it easier” might be a better selection of words.

1. Danielle Wilson says:

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH KEITH .. FACEBOOK DONT MAKE YOU CHEAT..HOW ABOUT WHEN A PERSON IS CHEATING BY TEXTING WHO IS TO BLAME THE CELL PHONE COMPANIES.???? PEOPLE GET OVER IT!!!!..JUST BECASUE SOMEONE MAY SAY SWEEETIE, BABY, BOO , SEXY MEAN THEY WANT TO GET WITH THEM ARE JUST WORDS COME ON ARE KIDS OR ADULTS

4. the Social Media Couple says:

Thanks for the focus on Facebook’s impact on marriages. We noticed you used the “1 in 5 divorces involve Facebook” stat. The “stats” around this issue have gotten so loose and messy that we investigated the 14-month history of this stat and put the findings on our blog, Techlationships.com. We encourage you to read “Debunking the 1-in-5 Divorces Linked to Facebook Stat” at http://bit.ly/1in5FB and maybe do a story on it.

BTW, 2 days after our blog post, the Wall Street Journal did an article on it as well validating our findings.

Let us know if you have any questions! K Jason and Kelli Krafsky (The Social Media Couple/Co-Authors of “Facebook and Your Marriage”)

5. Lisa Iannini says:

Ms. Gottfurcht:I applaud you for having the strength to share your own story and to tell other peoples stories with such compassion and insight.
    Best of luck