Betz says that once women enter their 30s, they gradually start losing bone density every year. More than 40 million Americans either already have osteoporosis or are at high risk due to low bone mass according to the National Institutes of Health. Women are especially at risk with one in two being affected. However, unlike mammograms, the importance of bone density testing is not often emphasized by physicians and many health insurance companies will not cover the cost until the age of 55.
4 Preventative Activities That Can Stop Premature Bone Loss
1) Twenty minutes of aerobic and anaerobic exercise two or three times a week including: squats,
single leg balance work and back extensions.
2) Perfect posture throughout the day.
3) Calcium-rich nutrition from fish, seaweed or green leafy vegetable based foods.
4) Meditation and adequate sleep
4 Damaging Activities That Can Speed Up Bone Loss
1) Exercise involving abdominal crunches, toe touches or windmills.
2) Lifting anything with a rounded back.
3) Drinking dark-colored sodas.
4) Not spending enough time on your feet
For more information on FREE bone density screenings around Los Angeles in April, click here.