Glendale Attorney Faces New Charges In Alleged Insurance Fraud

LOS ANGELES (CBS) —  Nine new criminal charges were filed Wednesday against a Glendale attorney first charged in October 2009 in a case involving an auto insurance fraud ring that staged auto accidents.

John Akopian — who is awaiting a May 4 hearing to determine if there is sufficient evidence to require him to stand trial on 38 counts — was charged with an additional nine counts of insurance fraud, according to Deputy District Attorney Greg Alker.

The 39-year-old attorney is believed, along with other lawyers and chiropractors, to have been an associate of Alexander Igor Gutman, 49, of Sherman Oaks, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

Gutman pleaded guilty to 15 counts of insurance fraud and is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 15.

The new charges coincide with the arrests of 10 people in Glendale, Los Angeles, Compton, Long Beach and Hollywood who are accused of conspiring with Akopian to defraud an insurance company of more than $74,000 through staged accidents, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

Comments

1. Kinky says:

Let them die like the pigs they are.

2. David Huffman says:

Glendale Attorney,and he’s Armenian?? Big surprise huh?

1. Irene Quintero says:

my sentiments exactly!

3. AJ Morgan says:

I was on San Fernando in Glendale near the Home Depot 3-years ago; an Armenian woman and a man tried that sh|t with me. My ins. carrier did some research and discovered she had been in 17 (yes, I said 17) accidents that year, and her companion had been with her EACH and EVERY time.

I happen to be an Ops Manager for a Medical Call Center in Burbaank at the same time. we had the FBI come in and subpoena several Home Health Care businesses account info, and later arrest them for fraudulent billing of people who had been dead for 5+ years or more.

My parents didn’t raise me a racist or to hate aanyone, I am not a racist, aannd don’t hate people based on their skin color, naionality, etc, but I don’t trust Armenians.

4. esteban says:

say what you will about Armenian’s….but the armenian men are kinda hot.

5. ILLEGALS says:

Bad B.O. Not just Armenians, a lot of people are driving recklessly on purpose just to collect on your mistakes.

6. hyegrandpa says:

Don’t blame just Armenians. There is rotten apple in every ethnic group, who commit fraud every day

7. Turkish Pride says:

Armos=CRIME Bet you this Attorney is collecting welfare and med-cal while practicing law so to speak .

8. hyegrandpa says:

Turks=criiminals. And stop bringing up nationality. Same can be about you