Gas Leak Prompts Evacuation Of Century High School In Santa Ana

SANTA ANA (CBS) — A gas leak prompted the evacuation and cancellation of all classes at Century High School in Santa Ana Wednesday.

There were no immediate reports of injuries, according to a school district spokeswoman.

The leak, which was reported about 10 a.m., prompted officials to evacuate the school at 1401 S. Grand Ave., according to Santa Ana Unified School District spokeswoman Angela Burrell. Officials say a backhoe operator severed a four-inch natural gas line near the school.

Students who could walk home were allowed to leave, but other students who needed rides were sent to Villa Fundamental Intermediate School, about a block away at 1441 E. Chestnut Ave., to wait for parents or guardians to pick them up, Burrell said.

Southern California Gas Co. stopped the flow of gas just after noon, a company spokesperson said.

(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. LIz says:

to JeffD and John,

Not everyone living in Santa Ana are ciminals and John, what is wrong with that? She is going to school to learn. How many languages do you know?

1. david says:

Are her parents legal? Problaby not or she would speak good english. Typical anchor babies who’s parents snuck in here and are now sucking up our tax dollars to go to school not including the free meals they get. What a waste!

1. CHARLIE SHEEN-O says:

Even american citizens like ME suck from tax dollars my friend!!! Everybody does that, lets not Be “HIPOCRITA” ( I know you understood me).

2. jaided says:

Your a sad case that thinks white ppl are still the majority in Los Angeles.

2. Pat says:

It is ignorance like those comments that leads us to know, there are problem people out there.

1. UnitedStates of the Devided people says:

White people will always be racist. This event had nothing to do with race yet they had to comment about latinos in Santa Ana. I thought the hitler attitude was dead.

1. Manny says:

geeze, white people are not the only racist in this world! EVERYONE IS RACIST!!!!

3. Erica says:

As a graduate of Century High School and former resident of Santa Ana, I am appalled at some of the generalizations people can make. I am now a student at UCLA, so for someone to sit here and make remarks about students in Santa Ana all being criminals, is probably not even educated. Some people really need to just not speak, if they have nothing intelligent to say. It is so sad, that people probably twice my age are just so ignorant.

1. david says:

You are one of them reading and writing kind aren’t you?

1. Laverne says:

David: Since your first comments contained a ton of grammatical errors, can we assume that you are not from this country as well?

2. Kerry says:

the majority are criminals! You were just the very few Santa Ana residents that were smart enough to make yourself a better life!

4. LatinoInCollege says:

I am a Latino, born and raised in Santa Ana, after graduating high school I went to a UC and majored in engineering. I am more than halfway through my college and I am currently working as a private tutor helping white American high school students. That’s what’s up.

1. jaided says:

Harry by the way thats an ugly name, im pretty sure thats ur first name. i wouldnt doubt it. The only real americans are native americans. u must be the only native american with the name harry.

2. Mark says:

Do you want a cookie?

1. Jason says:

No he wants a taco! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Maria says:

What are u guys jealous or what..

3. tim says:

No one is jealous of being a 2nd class citizen aka an anchor baby like you maria. Go back to mexico and sell some gum or something.

4. Maria says:

Sorry to say Tim but I was born here but proud to be a mexican..At least we dont stand at the entrances of the freeways and ask for money..We earn it

5. Angelo Reyna says:

I am student at that high school and today was unbelievable. i had to wait there for three hours. the school has no efficient evacuation plan.

1. Steve A. says:

THE SCHOOL DOES HAVE AN EVACUATION PLAN. HOWEVER NEITHER STUDENTS NOR PARENTS WHERE HELPING THE CAUSE WHICH IS WHY EVERYTHING GOT OUT OF CONTROL.

2. Esmeralda says:

We did have one it’s just that students and parents were not making it easy. We were feeling the same way you students were but we had the responsiblity fall on us. Listen I got there when after it happened like at 11:15 they told me to go home guess what I didnt go home because I care for my students . I wanted to make sure that everything went well with them.

6. Me says:

David : The only waste is you sweetie. It might help your argument if you attempt to go back to school and get an education that goes beyond the grade level education you’ve gotten thus far in your pathetic trailer park life.

7. Daniel says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NO SCHOOL. Hopefully.🙂

8. jaided says:

DAvid if ur white anywhere in los angeles u are the minority taking our tax dollars. how bout that. Move to kentucky.

9. REVOKE AUTOMATIC US CITIZENSHIPS TO ILLEGAL BABIES says:

What i’m more upset ’bout the whole illegal deal is that babies of illegals born on US soil becomes automatic US Citizens. That is so wrong!!

1. jaided says:

What u have to do now is sit their and find out which of ur ppl allowed for that to happen. Go find him. and hang him. right? or what else can u do? dont tell us what ur gonna do. Just go out and do it. Theirs always grown men on these blogs acting like lil girls.

1. Harry says:

What we have to do is put ALL latinos in internment camps like we did the Japs in WW2 and start sorting them from there. No one let these roaches in, they snuck in and should be deported asap along with anchor babies!

2. Esmeralda says:

First of all look at ur history book and look at whose land this was.

10. Ed Rooney says:

Any Mexicans on here ever realize your race is a product of Rape? The Spaniards Raped your ancestors (indians).

11. Lena says:

how would you feel being discriminated for your color of skin, your race, being a second class citizen. You guys just remind me of the time they discriminated against Jews and killed millions, because of people like you. Maybe your very unhappy with life but it’s no ones fault but yours for the life you have. Yes you have an opinion and so do I, but you know what the only difference is I don’t discriminate against no one that doesn’t look like me, you have issues. Please solve them.

1. Jason says:

We are trying to solve this but the wetters keep on coming If they would stop breaking the law and do the right thing and go back we would have more sympathy but I refuse to accept lawbreakers!

12. Maria says:

Iam sick and tired of americans always talking smack on us mexicans..And its so fuuny that when u go into a mexican restaurant half of the people are white..Cant there wifes cook as good as us mexicans

1. tim says:

They can cook as all recipes are on the net nowadays. But why cook when a peasant will cook for $1hr. Our wives cannot cook as good but they know how to shave their legs, shave under their arms, and mustaches are not a problem as genetically they are not pre-disposed to having mustaches like mexican women. Good, now you understand and know your place. You are welcome.

1. Lena says:

Mexican girls are beautiful maybe some decide not to be so clean and perfect but have you not seen all those beautiful Mexican women who you wish you had? Do you know your place? You racist person.

2. Esmeralda says:

Lol you guys are funny you talk smack on Mexican women bit then again you drool over them and don’t say you don’t. Look at the streets who are the homeless not Mexicana they prefer to work then beg for money.

3. Maria says:

Exaclty..Us mexicans are gorgeous..So sorry to say but I have seen alot of white females that dont shave their legs or arm pits..So your gilrs aint perfect..U see a mexican walking down the street and u guys drool all over us..

2. Leo says:

Let me guess… anchor baby maria has 5 kids with 5 different guys, 4 which are in prison and 1 got shot in a drive by and they had no money for a funeral so they had a car wash and cremated the criminal. maria if you learn anything before you get deported, teach your people what birth control is so they stop multiplying like the roaches they are!

1. Maria says:

Haha Leo your so lame..so I should call you trailer trash

3. J says:

they can t cook cuz all they care about is getting their nails done and cheating on the husband while he is away on business lol oh and they have no brain remember, duh their white lol
      this is coming from a white dude by the way lol

13. tim says:

These illegals gotta go and so do their anchor baby kids. Here is how you tell em apart. If you got an accent or broken english you are ILLEGAL. If you can speak english without an accent and look mexican you are an ANCHOR BABY. Now that we have settled that both kind still gotta go back to mexico!

1. ANDY GARCIA says:

I SERVED SIX YEARS IN THE MARINE CORP AND KILLED IN THE NAME OF THIS COUNTRY, I AIN’T GOING ANYWHERE!! WHAT DID YOU DO!! NOTHING, BUT GET ON THESE BLOGS, YOU WANT THINGS TO CHANGE, THEN MOVE TO UTAH, NO ONE WILL BOTHER YOU THERE, YOU COWARD!!

1. Vince says:

Killing people is nothing to be proud of. You will have your judgement day and all those people you killed will not help the resume. God see’s all and you my friend are destined for a not so good after life.

14. Voice of Reason says:

Illegals are putting a burden on our schools. If the government did their job their would be no high schools in Santa Ana due to the fact most of the kids are illegals or anchor babies who get free education at taxpayer expense along with free meals at school that my taxes pay for and then their is secton 8 which our taxes pay for as well. It is like we are supporting another country and I am tired of it. We have to hold govrernment responsible for not deporting these people!

15. Smart says:

All, David and Tim are the same person. He posts racists remarks on this website just to get attention. We have been tracking his postings and are close to identifying him. Please do not waste your time and energy replying to his racist comments.

16. Jsan says:

How did a gas leak turn into this racist bash? It’s ridiculous if Tim and David are the same person, first off you must not have a job and this is the way you spend your day? What a loser.. 2nd not all white people are as ignorant as you are, there are very few that have that old mentality.

1. jose says:

your probably right, they must not have a job OR their “white” parents are taking care of them like all white people do to their kids. daddy this and mommy this. not trying to be racist but thats the way it works. bunch of losers.

17. Jose says:

i find it funny how people keep criticizing other people and are still racist about everything day in and day out instead of worrying about more important issues we are facing. As a resident of Santa Ana and former century high school student, i know what really goes on around here because i live in the middle of the danger, for lack of better words. I am not picking on any race in particular because i do not discriminate towards anyway, BUT Santa Ana does not consist of criminals and bad people, like other people have already mentioned, It consists of SOME people making bad decisions. I was and still am fortunate to have parents that educated me correctly and led me towards the right path. I now own my own business and i am affiliated with one of the world’s largest corporations so what does that say about me? i am not different from anyone else in Santa Ana, i just made a right choice. And by the way, this is about a gas leak and people come on here talking about the people? criminals? Santa Ana being bad? haha grow up people.

18. Rick says:

Reminded of the fi$h invasion of Redondo Beach, Just a different outcome!

Jaided is a Mexicant. You must not be working if you are on the Internet all day.

1. jaided says:

Thats right…….mexicant dont offend me…. been called worse. ur just mad if u live in los angeles and have too see mexicants all day and night rt. go out on the streets and say what ur posting here. u wouldnt dare. Me ill walk and talk what im posting here and just get bad looks. White race a bunch of chickens. by the way im not racist. just being real.

1. Rick says:

Who told you I’m White? I do tell Mexicants to their faces. You know the kinds who have 6 girls and 1 boy because they keep trying for that boy.
        When they do finally create a boy he is and always will be a grunting/autistic drain on society.
        I hope jaided does not have any kids, I mean if she is the one teaching them to speak and spell.

2. jaided says:

If ur not white, what r u? are u just another fish in the invasion? and please dont tell me ur black ill have a filed day with u if u are.u chose the right word invasion, because were taking over. Its not gonna stop. So move ur families before that 1 son u put me having gets one of ur daughters pregnant.

19. Kerry says:

I thought this article was about a gas leak at a local High School? Not a whose race is better article!

20. Lena says:

I’m very sure if all mexicans and every illegal person in this country left to Mexico, you people who are racist to all, will be the first ones to help them come back, and do the jobs you don’t like doing. If you were a doctor and no Mexican was here who would clean the hospital? If u were a college student who would clean your dorms? Mexicans are hard workers,and don’t ask for much besides an opportunity for a better life. leave them alone. (white girl married to Mexican hottie)

21. Yvonne says:

when did this come to be about any kind of race.this is about the schools gas leak people.i was stuck inside the school that day.they do not mention that the students forced their way out of the school when police officers tried to get them out safely.they pushed and shoved,they received simple steps to follow and did not try to do as well i might add.i tried looking for a way out for myself,brother,and friends.My friend came to be over heated and felt claustrophobic.

Oh and people next time you want to write a comment on a article,make sure you STAY ON TOPIC.

22. Jade says:

All of you are making each others race look bad. I’m a 7th generation Hispanic and am disgusted with all this hatred. I don’t see why we cant get along. And tax money? What about all the “whites” who are too doped up to feed their kids so they get free meals and maybe hispanics sell oranges and flowers but they’re not lazy like disgusting hill billy homeless. And whites? All of u came from France or somewhere WE’RE NOT ALL FROM HERE YOU IDIOTS!!!