Gas Leak Prompts Evacuation Of Century High School In Santa Ana
SANTA ANA (CBS) — A gas leak prompted the evacuation and cancellation of all classes at Century High School in Santa Ana Wednesday.
There were no immediate reports of injuries, according to a school district spokeswoman.
The leak, which was reported about 10 a.m., prompted officials to evacuate the school at 1401 S. Grand Ave., according to Santa Ana Unified School District spokeswoman Angela Burrell. Officials say a backhoe operator severed a four-inch natural gas line near the school.
Students who could walk home were allowed to leave, but other students who needed rides were sent to Villa Fundamental Intermediate School, about a block away at 1441 E. Chestnut Ave., to wait for parents or guardians to pick them up, Burrell said.
Southern California Gas Co. stopped the flow of gas just after noon, a company spokesperson said.
(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)