Top Tips To Provide Proper Dental Health For Your Pet
Links & Numbers
Websites and phone numbers from stories you saw on CBS2 and KCAL9:
Deer Sounds Music (10/13/15)
American Cancer Society (10/13/15)
Helping Kids Understand Cancer (10/13/15)
Rise of the Jack O'Lanterns (10/13/15)
Ontario Harvest Festival (10/8/15)
"Ghost in the House" Play (10/8/15)
Maze Runner Petition (10/6/15)
Salmonella Infected Cucumbers (10/6/15)
Aldi Careers (10/5/15)
STUDIO CITY (KCAL9) — About 80 percent of dogs and 70 percent of cats show signs of oral disease by age three! Dental disease can lead to other life-threatening health problems, such as inflammation, which can damage a pet’s heart, liver and kidneys.
Dr. Philippe Boutet, the LA Medical Director for Banfield Pet Hospitals, stopped by KCAL9 Tuesday to talk about National Pet Dental Health Month (February).
In Los Angeles, the average pet does not receive its first dental checkup until five years of age, and only 14% of pets actually receive dental checkups.
Banfield’s Facts & Recommendations:
• Oral disease is the most common disorder affecting cats and dogs worldwide; affecting 68 percent of cats and 78 percent of dogs over the age of three.
• Banfield recommends yearly professional cleanings as well as at-home preventive care, to help keep pets teeth healthy
• Periodontal disease has also been associated with changes in a pets’ kidneys, liver and cardiac functions—in short, unhealthy teeth can lead to an unhealthy pet in ways pet owners can’t imagine.
• Although dental disease can occur rapidly at any age, risk factors for developing periodontal disease in dogs include increasing age, small breed size and neutering.
• Professional cleanings are vital because they include measures pet owners can’t take at home, such as a thorough exam of a pet’s teeth and gums, dental radiographs to evaluate the overall health of the teeth, checking for bone loss and abscesses and the use of special tools to remove invisible film, plaque and calculus from the teeth.
Banfield Pet Hospital is the world’s largest veterinary practice, with hundreds of locations across the country.
For more information, visit Banfield.
(©2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)