Firefighter Dies From Injuries Suffered In Hollywood Hills Blaze

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — The Los Angeles city firefighter who was buried underneath the rubble of a ceiling that collapsed during a blaze at a Hollywood Hills home died Friday of his injuries.

Glenn L. Allen, a 36-year veteran of the force, died at 12:15 p.m., said Erik Scott of the Los Angeles Fire Department. He was 61 and about a year from retirement.

Allen was injured along with five other firefighters Wednesday night.

Officials say he had no heartbeat and was not breathing when he was cut free of the wreckage.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa has ordered city flags lowered to half- staff in memory of Allen. He issued the following the statement:

“Today, I join all Angelenos in mourning the loss of firefighter Glenn Allen, a fearlessly committed firefighter who dedicated 36 years of his life to protecting the people of Los Angeles. Glenn was a valiant hero whose selfless sacrifice will forever be honored.

“This tragedy serves as a somber, yet powerful reminder that the brave men and women of the Los Angeles Fire Department put their lives on the line each and every day to keep us safe from harm.

“My thoughts and prayers are with the family of firefighter Allen and his extended family of firefighters at LAFD.”

Comments

1. sfv41901 says:

RIP Glenn Allen & thank you for everything you’ve done throughout your career

2. Nameless Person says:

How sad and tragic. Never good to see news like this. Prayers to his family and fellow fire fighters. : (

3. eric says:

RIP Glenn! I heard he was about to become a 1st time Grandpa. You’ll be there HERO forever!!

1. eric says:

Oops, their HERO!

4. Char says:

Praying for his family and friends.

5. Tanza says:

So sorry to hear he did not make it. ‘Thanks’ cannot express how grateful our family is for him and all of the family of firefighters for being willing to risk your lives to help our families when in need. Prayers for Glenn’s family to be comforted, during this time and the times to come, through the love of God and those around them.

6. Evans Family says:

Evans Family
    Praying for the family and friends.

7. Angie says:

RIP Glenn. God gave us a Angel and now he has taken you home. Your a hero and your legacy and heroism will never be forgotten. Your grandchild will have the honor of saying ” My grandpa is Glenn L. Allen” and he saved many lives by running into burning buildings”. Our prayers are with you Mrs. Allen and the children. May God give you strenght through this difficult time. God Bless.

8. Louise says:

RIP, my friend and Christian brother. I know you are with the Lord right now. I’m praying for the family.

9. diana mora says:

Oh no, I am so sorry, when I was listening to the news this morning, about the what happened, I looked over to my boxer (dog) and said, let’s pray for him that he makes it, he only has about a year to go to retire, and he has his 1st grandchild on the way, we prayed………

10. Dave Bearce says:

The brotherhood from River Oaks Texas Fire Dept sends comfort and prayers to his family, friends and coworkers of this hero. We know what it is like to lose one of our own. On February 15th, 1999 responding to a mutual aid call to another city, the roof of a church collapsed killing 2 River Oaks firefighters and a Sansom Park firefighter.
    Les we never forget

11. The Damarjian Family says:

Thankful for Glen’s heroic service to our community. He is with our Lord Jesus in heaven. Someday we will meet him there. John 3:16. Our prayers go out to your family.Prayers for comfort that can only come from God. 1 Peter 5:7

12. Pat says:

RIP brother..Your last act on earth was that of a hero before you stepped into eternity to be with our Lord and Savior. We will all join you one day brother, so look over us until then…….

13. jc rodriguez says:

Dude thats sucks and only I beliieve a year left until retirement. Thanks for your service and heroics!

14. willcampbell says:

I didn’t know his name yesterday when on my way past the LAFD training facility in Elysian Park yesterday morning I stopped at the 9/11 memorial and found myself praying for the firefighter’s recovery. So sad to hear this news. My thoughts are with Glenn Allen’s family and friends and fellow firefighters.

15. Christian says:

Unbelievable that this was cutoff for a Stormwatch clip.
    Fire your producer!

1. Papa Doo says:

Really?? That’s your biggest issue with this story? Wow, get your priorities straight, son.

1. Linda says:

?? what are your priorities??

16. mister s says:

Wow, 36 years keeping Los Angeles safe. Thank You Glenn. Rest in peace.

17. J.T. Higgins says:

He made the ultimate sacrifice for the people he cared for and served. But I’m disgusted that KCAL found the news of rain to be more important than the news conference about a man who gave his life to save lives.

So typical of the news service, fluff over substance.

1. Ed Rooney says:

I hate to burst your bubble, Mr. High and Mighty, but you and the clown “Christian” who posted above may need to understand that rain and weather affect a great deal more people than does the unfortunate death of a firefighter.
      Life happens kiddo.

1. J.T. Higgins says:

I can see your point about those QUALITY interviews about people watching it rain. Sorry, you lack compassion and that your day affected by that rain. It was an unfortunate event and does make for news of substance.

2. jason says:

Hey Ed, the only clown is you! How dare you!!! Glenn payed the ultimate sacrifice…What do you need to get from the news about rain? Do you need them to tell you to put on a jacket….

3. Linda says:

the proble with them inturrupting to go to the ‘weather’ was they said nothing new!!! showed old clips How dare you say Life happens, sure hope you never need 911 help, pathic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about Mother nature happens

4. marilyn nunyabusiness says:

so what its raining! thats very obvious. Had this been your family he was rescuing you probly wouldnt be so heartless, he lost his life for saving another, have compassion for heavens sake!!!!

5. Rick S says:

Ed, that was rude. You can get the weather instantly on your cell phone, but not a live news conference like this.

2. Linda says:

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really hope more people complain about this stupid discission to go to weather and show clips that were shown earlier, it was so insulting to the firefighters and his family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. JM says:

How dare the news cut to the rain while the city is mourning the loss of a man that laid down his life in harms way for the sake of others. KCAL should be ashamed they cut away to video of rain, something of very little importance. what a shame.

1. csiler says:

So agree with you on this. I wrote to KCAL letting them know of my shock at their choice to cut away to cover the weather. They should have given the chief the respect he is due and continued to air his comments, which at a time like this, are more important than the mayor’s.

19. Art Fry says:

My son and nephews are firefighters for L.A.F.D. Our prayers go to
    his family may god keep these brave men safe.

Art & Marie Fry

20. A. Ken Krupnik says:

LAFD Firefighter/Paramedic Glen Allen was a man I will never forget. A man dedicated to the saving of the lives of others, totally loyal to his wife and family, and a strong unwavering belief in his faith. He lived, and died a true hero.
    “Kiss your wife and kids goodbye… and pray they will see you again”

21. Tricia says:

My utmost condolences to Glen’s family, my LAFD famly. And I guess I will be the first to address the elephant in the room so to speak. Would Glen’s sacrifice been necessary if there were more firefighters on scene? Will these “rolling brown outs” come to an end now that one of our own has died? Shuttin down stations or leaving skelton crews is Villraigosa’s brilliant strategy for cutting costs. Now will the public pay attention to the fact that THEIR safety is at risk? Many taxpayers don’t realize that response time and manpower are crucial to every incident. Maybe Glen would be alive today if more firefighters were available to lifte the heavy debris off his crushed body. Think about it everyone. R.I.P. Glen….God Bless you and your family

22. TCB1 says:

I was really saddened to hear that he didn’t make it. My deepest sympathies go to the family and friends of Glenn Allen.

23. craig says:

How dare KCAL 9 cut to the storm coverage while our mayor and Fire Chief tell the story of Glen Allen’s life. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Our prayers are with the Allen family.

Craig

24. Tina Melendez says:

Rich, So sorry to learn of your stepbrother’s accident and passing. Heaven is blessed to have him join those that have passed before him. Never is any proper words to say when someone dies so unexpectedly. Just know that in the career that he chose he helped so many persons over the years and assisted so many. He will be remembered for all those times of service. My love to your families and sending you Hugs~!

25. Brother says:

Just wanted to comment on how pathetic of KCAL to cut away from a live news conference of the anouncement of the unfortunate passing of a local hero who died serving the citizens to cut to tell us its raining. I’m sickened by how you think the rain is more important!
    RIP Brother Allen

26. Melody says:

WOW KCAL 9….I couldn’t believe that you CUT a press conference short of one (firefighters) that gives their lives for the safety of all of us every day to share the weather instead. I think you owe a BIG APOLOGY TO the Allen Family and to all firefigters.

27. Rick S says:

My condolences to the LAFD over the loss of Firefighter Glenn Allen, it was sad that Kcal would not let The Fire Chief finish his comments before cutting him off to promo the weather and last night’s feature on one of your reporters. KCal was the only station carrying the press conference live in Los Angeles This was not good journalism.

28. Adela says:

My deepest condolences go out to the family of Glenn Allen and the entire Los Angeles City Fire Department. May God bless them all during this difficult time.

Regarding the coverage of the news conference…I am deeply sickened at KCAL 9 for their lack of respect and disregard to the story in which they were airing regarding the tragic loss of a beloved firefighter. Local citizens like myself would appreciate you not cutting to another news story in the midst of a sentence, the storm watch, really executives? This is truly disturbing! I will watch other stations for local news from this day forward.

29. Lactff says:

He made the ultimate sacrifice for the citizens of LA and your news cast cut off the announcement of his passing and his tribute for Storm Watch. One of the most disrespectful things I have ever seen. You need to hire a producer with his/her priorities straight.

30. RICH PENA says:

THANK YOU FOR SERVING THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES– THERE IS A SPECIAL PLACE FOR YOU IN HEAVEN–MAY THE LORD ALWAYS BE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

YOUR BROTHER IN CHRIST,

SGT. RICH PENA (RETIRED)
    BUENA PARK PD

31. Not newsworthy says:

May GOD REST YOUR SOUL for your life saving work. RIP

32. Maureen Hall says:

God Bless You Firefighter Allen for answering your final alarm. I know you are up in Heaven and will be ringing the final bell for the other fallen fire fighters who will be joining you at the foot of Jesus when their time comes. I pray that God will hold your family and friends, as well as your fire fighting family, safe in His arms in the long, hard days and weeks and months to come. Thank you for your outstanding service to your community. Love and prayers, a Policeman’s Mom.

33. Dean says:

My condolonces go out to the family of Firefighter Glenn Allen. He will be missed but never forgotten.

F— YOU KCAL!!!

34. The Reverend, LAFD says:

All men are created equal, and then some become brothers. Today, we have lost a brother. Rest in peace Glenn.

35. Sandy Allen says:

Glenn Allen was a hero, and my uncle. I cannot beleive your post! Do you not have a heart? I pray for your soul.

1. Sandy Allen says:

I’m glad they deleted that post. On behalf of the Allen family I would like to thank you all for your prayers. My uncle was an amazing man. It is a comfort to know he is in heaven with his dad, who was also a member of the LAFD.

1. Chelsie Burke says:

Sandy, I hope your family finds peace. If you need anything you know where to find me. I will keep you all in my prayers.

36. Sue Hedge says:

Bless you, Sandy. I knew your Dad in the mid-70’s and am back in touch with him today via FB. I learned about your Uncle yesterday. My heart goes out to you and your family. I’m so sorry for your loss.

37. Lewis Brown says:

To Glenn,

My neighbor and friend, how I will miss your humor, willingness to help, your honesty, your ready smile. Your are such a model. You really lived the life. Loving your family.

38. Chris Williamson says:

Rest in peace Brother.

39. Edna Murillo says:

My prayers to the family he leaves behind. It takes a very special person to do what he did.

40. Douglas and Tori Rogers says:

A true hero, he will be missed. My husband worked with him on the department and has only the kindest words to express about him. He repeatedly asks, “Why didi it have to be one of the nice guys?”Our heartfelt condolences are shared with the entire Allen family.

41. Martin says:

Think about all the firefighters and emergency workers watching the news conference and to have the conference cut out to the weather is simply appauling. Kcal has abosolutely no respect for Allen, his family and the fire service. The producer owes a huge apology. I will watch channel 5 from now on.

To allen and family, we are all very saddened to lose Allen but very grateful to have known him.

Respectfully yours,

Martin

42. Gayle Estrada says:

To the Allen Family,
    My husband had the utmost respect working alongside of one of LA City’s finest and was honored to have worked with Glenn. What a great loss to the entire community and especially anyone who knew what an amazing person Glenn was. I am praying for the Allen family and the firefighting family that loss their brother and friend in Christ.

43. Clinton C. Shelton Jr says:

I remember Glenn as a fine example of the LAFD. I just retired from the LAFD myself last november. I am so sorry for Glenn and his family that he didn’t reach that goal also. Rest in peace bro.