Sue-shi?! Man Files Lawsuit Against All-You-Can-Eat Restaurant

STUDIO CITY (CBS) — A Ca-Shi, a sushi restaurant in Studio City, offers a $28 all-you-can-eat special.

But one man thinks he got a raw deal when he just tried to eat the fish and not the rice that accompanied his sushi meal.

David Martin is a Type 2 diabetic and has to watch his carb intake.

The deal is for all-you-can-eat sushi…not sashimi, which is just the fish.

He believes the restaurant wanted him to fill up on rice. He left the rice on his plate and says the restaurant owner, Jay Oh, offered to instead prepare two orders of sashimi ($25).

Martin has filed suit in Los Angeles Superior Court seeking $4,000 in damage for “humiliation, embarrassment and mental anguish.”

For the restaurant’s part, they say rice has to be part of the deal. Oh told reporters, “if you only eat the fish, I would go broke.”

A hearing in the case is expected next week.

Comments

1. joe says:

They should have fed that loser some raw chicken.

2. jujubee1 says:

What a jerk! If he knew sushi wasn’t good for him, why did he go there?

1. Cherie Leigh says:

He chose to eat the parts that he knew would not cause his blood sugar to skyrocket. I know; I am diabetic and cannot eat much if any white rice. I go to all you can eat restaurants and I choose the admittedly more expensive proteins because eating the white bread, potatoes, rice and noodles are bad for me. I would be shocked if my plate was watched and I was charged more because I picked through the carbs to eat only things that won’t harm my health. Even at regular menu restaurants it is very frustrating to have to pay more for substitutions (small salad instead of potatoes) or to not have access to whole grain bread (less likely to spike blood sugar) instead of white. So, to answer your rude question, he went there because PART of the sushi was good for him. Just be thankful you don’t have to deal with the food issues some of us do 24-7, you thoughtless boor.

1. Logic dictates says:

That’s a stupid thing to say. I understand just as well as you do, but what he expected was wrong, especially as the rules are clearly laid out. If he wanted to eat just the fish, he should have bought sashimi, or asked beforehand if they could make a substitution for the rice, such as a salad or soup. Chances are, they would have been much more willing to work with him. Suing for embarrassment is just petty and stupid. Why is it that every person who has a diet restriction feels that if they are not handled specially with kid gloves, they deserve extreme monetary compensation. If he didn’t like it, he should have simply paid, left and never returned.

2. Ned says:

Then wny would he deliberately choose a food that is by it’s very consistency packed with rice? We’ve all run into or met people like this who are instigators, victimizing others, while leaning on the crutch of their disability.

3. angie says:

Great there goes all the all you can eat sushi deals….thanks A-hole!

4. Joe Sushi says:

It’s just an excuse for him to make a quick buck. What a moron!

5. Iron Lion Zion says:

They should have fed him Fugu, prepared by an unqualified chef. Know what I’m sayin?

6. Bryan Herbert says:

BS!!! I have Type 2 Diabetes and rice doesn’t hurt me one bit. I’ve lost 70 pounds since last April from eating mostly soup, salad and sushi and my A1C went from 8.1 to 5.9.

1. Cherie Leigh says:

Well bully for you. I doesn’t work for everyone, and if you have done any studying up on this you will be aware white rice is now under attack even as a starter cereal for babies as a possible contributor to Type 2 diabetes. I for one am not able to eat much white rice without my blood sugar going through the roof, and I am a very disciplined diabetic on all the recommended meds for my particular condition.

1. rebecca says:

Cherie: How many Asian people have type 2 diabetes? Not many! I mean they eat white rice all the time. Were is you excuse now? You don’t have one do you. Look a big part Type 2 diabetes comes from diet. I know because my mom lived with it. So stop trying to defend a guy who is trying to make a quickl buck and tying up or leagle system over somthing stupid.

2. Reed says:

Hi Cherie, I wish I could comment on rebecca’s comment below but it’s not an option. Maybe she should learn how to spell “where”, “quick”, “legal” and “something” before she criticizes comments like yours based on science.

7. George says:

What sounds fishy to me is that this place is across the street from CBS and Mr. Oh probably asked a favor from his customers in the news room. Free lunch?

8. Tom says:

You are too FUNNY Rick!

9. Tom says:

They won’t let him buy coffee at McDonalds either. They see him coming and lock the doors.

10. Fed up with Lazy People says:

So let’s see, this guy has type 2 diabetes because he was too much of a glutton to control himself, and now he’s suing a restaurant because he couldn’t eat them out of house and home….Give it up and go to the gym!

1. Tyrone says:

Hey, listen up…if that jerk really belleved he couldn’t eat sushi rice, why would he order order sushi…want just the fish? Then order sashimi….but his objective , other than proving he is a qualified idiot, was to sue the restaurant…that’s how he makes a living.

2. tyrone says:

They would throw the idiot out…..and his uneaten potatoes and rice on top of him….

3. Tom says:

Okay Ms. sanctimonious Cherie. If he went to a buffet and put the potatos and and rice on his plate, not eat them and kept going back for more, then yes they would stop him and ask him to leave for “wasting” food. Don’t hurt yourself climbing down from your high horse.

4. Wraith says:

It was, “all you can eat sushi,” not, “all you can eat sashimi.” That’d be like going to an all you can eat shrimp deal, then getting p!ssed because you have to pay for eeach plate of chicken. Restaraunt did nothing wrong here.

11. Gail Snail says:

I’ve been to all-you-can-eat sushi bars and there is normally a sign that tells you that you will be charged for not eating the rice.

12. Al says:

MENTAL ANGUISH? Take the settlement and go BUY YOUIRSELF A BACKBONE, you whiner!!!!

13. katie says:

um, has anyone here ever been to all you can eat sushi restaurant? i’ve NEVER seen one that didn’t have a sign saying you must eat your rice or you will be charged for sashimi. furthermore, the restaurant owner offered him two plates of sashimi for a lower price – i don’t understand how anyone could fault the restaurant here… if you know you can’t eat that much rice then why the hell wouldn’t you order a dish you know you could eat safely especially when it has been offered to you?! god, i love idiots who can’t care for their own health and then blame it on someone else.

14. Common Sense says:

Sounds like David Martin and Cherie Leigh need to learn to read. According to the article, the deal was for “all-you-can-eat sushi” (which includes rice), not “all-you-can-eat sashimi”. Obviously, the restaurant owner did his calculation based on the cost of fish AND rice, and set his price accordingly. The greedy diner tried to change the rules, and when he was stopped, decided to sue. And Cherie’s comparisons to all-you-can-eat buffets is moot. At a buffet, you can choose to eat whatever you want. These restaurants simply don’t want you wasting food — it costs them money! Very simple…

15. Angie says:

All you can eat sushi (sushi is rice marinated in vinegar) so in just the name alone the guy should know sushi comes with rice. Sue happy people. Ridiculous.

16. Amigwyn says:

This is absolutely ridiculous. The deal was for Sushi. If there wasn’t a “deal” in place he wouldn’t have ordered it, he’d have gotten the Sashimi. He is not willing to pay for something he won’t eat so why should the store owner?! I am diabetic as well and I don’t go into any restaurant and order meals that contain food I cannot eat. I wouldn’t expect a “special” to be any different either! This would be like me going to a steakhouse and ordering a steak and potato meal that is on special and suing because they wouldn’t replace the potato with more steak. It doesn’t work that way!!

17. Hank Kingsley says:

YOU GO NOW!!

18. GeorgeKingfishStevens says:

Send this feller down to the bait shop. $30 will buy a lot of raw critters.

19. Captain Horatio McCallister says:

Simpsons did it

20. Daniel says:

So he’s diabetic? Tthe rest of the world has to pay for it? I don’t think so. The bottom line is, it’s his problem. The restaurant owner was fully within his rights and did nothing wrong. I too have very special food requirements, and if a restaurant cannot accommodate, it’s not their fault or their issue. It’s mine, so I just go somewhere else or prepare food at home. This man can do the same.