2 Women Die Of Apparent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Authorities Sunday said autopsies are expected to show that an 81-year-old Willowbrook woman and her daughter died in their sleep due to carbon monoxide poisoning after using a natural gas-fired oven to heat their home.

KNX 1070’s Ed Mertz Reports

Doris Jean Hopson, 81, and 62-year-old Yvonne Hopson were found dead Saturday afternoon in their home in the 2200 block of El Segundo Boulevard, sheriff’s deputies said.

Deputies said a granddaughter went to check on the pair after being unable to reach them by telephone. She found the oven open, smelled gas and then got out to call authorities.

“It appears as though the victims had opened the oven door and turned the oven on in order to heat their residence,” sheriff’s Lt. Michael Thatcher said.

County firefighters confirmed “extremely high” levels of carbon monoxide in the home, he said.

(©2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)


One Comment

  1. Oven User for heat says:

    wow, I turn my stove on and burners all the time for heat….I have central heating and it just gets too too hot in the back rooms. I always found it eaiser to just use the oven…get the place warm …then turn it off…I guess I wont be doing this any longer

  2. Illiana la fayette says:

    These ladies were great people, this is very hard to believe that they passed away..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Los Angeles

KNX 1070 Newsradio

Listen Live