Man Being Chased By Police Kills Couple In Crash

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Police say a husband and wife were killed when their car was hit by another vehicle that ran a red light during a police chase.

Police spokesman Lt. John Romero says officers began chasing a Prism driven by 27-year-old Jorge Alberto Molina of Culver City after it ran a red light around midnight Friday.

Family Of Kelvin and Demetria Dorsey In Anguish Over Couple’s Death, KNX 1070’s Ed Mertz Reports

Romero says Molina sped through another red light at the Florence and Crenshaw Boulevard in South Los Angeles and struck a car carrying 50-year-old Demetria Dorsey and her husband, 54-year-old Kelvin Dorsey.

The Los Angeles couple, who had been going home from a New Year’s party, were killed.

Police accused Molina of driving under the influence of alcohol and he was booked on two counts of murder.

Romero says it’s not clear if he was aware police were after him.

Comments

1. Kau Phaart says:

Wow, what an arse of desk officer: “just random people” maybe his tax-dollar funded paycheck should have “just random numbers” (less than $20). I’ll bet he’s obese with a GED, too!! worthless, just worthless LAPD…these people DIED!!!!

1. scholastica8 says:

What should the desk officer have said? That’s a difficult statement to try to figure out how to word. Should he have called them “innocent bystanders”? But they were not bystanders. Innocent victims? Innocent motorists? Unlucky motorists? The truth is that they were a couple out driving on New Years Eve… maybe going out… maybe going home….. & they were in the wrong place at the wrong moment. Had they been stopped by a red light anywhere along their route… or had they made made an extra green anywhere along their route. They would not have been in the intersection. RIP

1. Josh Butts says:

Yeah, at all the variables that a person can go thru in a day (traffic lights, lengths of goodbyes, speed from here to there) and somehow they end up getting t-boned. Just a second difference they could have been clipped from the front of back and lived. RIP!

2. Felice Judkins says:

you are right Kau, these weren’t just random people… they had parents, children, siblings and host of family and friends who have been impacted and will miss them dearly…I am one of those friends and this is a very sad day…. LAPD was chasing a suspect who allegedly robbed someone of $48… My friend and her husband are dead because of $48.00 and the police not knowing when to back off of a chase through the streets…. No these weren’t random people… they were loved and will be missed.

3. Karen-LA says:

Wow. Your comment is a doozy. The police did not kill these unfortunate victims. Place the blame where it is due – on the perpetrator who, while evading police, caused a major accident which killed 2 people.

2. Ty Ax says:

Damn i was wondering why Florence and crenshaw were blocked off at 2 am this morning.
    R.I.P. couple, Happy New year.

3. Peter says:

Was the perpetrator nabbed or not, and if so, what’s the charge, vehicular manslaughter?

The desk officer could perhaps have been bore articulate….

4. leroybrown says:

They are random. Who else would be in that part of town. Don’t blame the Police for someone fleeing the scene.

1. Not newsworthy says:

What do u know u comeent on everything like a parrot “leroybrown”

1. craig says:

Hey Max,
      Learn to spell. It is Stupid.

1. Max says:

I spelled it like that on purpose ya dumb azz!!!!

5. Kauisanidiot says:

Kau – Yea dont actually blame the PERSON WHO FLED AND KILLED THE INNOCENT PEOPLE. Yea blame the cop who was doing his job. Wow you are an idiot.

6. Bill says:

these high risk pursuits are just not worth it, this is not uncommon

1. craig says:

Bill,
      So if they are not worth it, and the policy is to not pursue.
      Then every criminal will know that all he has to do is run and he will get away, because the cops won’t chase him.
      That does not work either.

7. Rob says:

I don’t even live in California but I see it’s unfortunate YOU weren’t one of the random people killed. What a bunch of losers your state has.

8. BIGDADDYDEAN says:

R.I.P. KELVIN AND DEMETRIA DORSEY…. YOU WILL SURELY BE MISSED BY YOUR MANY FRPENDS AND FAMILY. THIS IS SUCH A SAD DAY FOR YOU KIDS AND GRANDKIDS AND THE MANY FRIENDS AND FAMILIES AT THE U,S POSTAL SERVICE. MAN ,WHY DO THE GOOD PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE SO YOUNG AND VIOLENT? PEACE MY BROTHER………….

1. Felice Judkins says:

“Meicy” we grew up together and you will be missed dearly.. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. Very sad day. R.I.P.

9. Richard in Castaic says:

“said a South Traffic desk officer, who would not give his name” It’s alarming when our own public servants refuse to identify themselves. This points to a culture of secrecy in our own police departments.

1. mister s says:

Of course he didn’t give his name. If one little bit of information turned out to be a mistake, his own supervisors would throw him under the bus so they can save themselves from whatever questioning or investigation may follow. The anonymous officer was just protecting himself from his own people. I would have done the same.

10. Ms. Creme says:

This was definately a tradgey for the families of the decesed individuals. Please pray for them. And that the the individual that killed them will be caught and get their just due. It is sad that some people report half stories and leave us to wonder what actually happening instead of telling the whole story.

11. shabba dowd says:

number 1, the cops need to BACK OFF of chases in areas where innocent lives are in jeopardy. one innocent death, yes, even a SINGLE INNOCENT DEATH is not worth it. NOT WORTH IT. PERIOD.

number 2, these cops – who are often mentally deranged individuals in their own right – need to either be better screened before hiring, better trained, or some other solution needs to be found for such reckless behavior.

bottom line, LAPD has significant blame here. don’t believe it? ASK THE FAMILIES OF THE DECEASED.

12. John says:

I’ve said it before I’ll say it again….

The LAPD is totally out-of-control.
    The most dangerous police dept in
    America.
    No accountability.
    No supervision.
    Lethal.

1. Thevoiceofreason says:

Then why don’t you move?….

13. Perry Yoshida says:

LAPD you did your job and keep doing it. Blame the criminals NOT THE POLICE.
    What are going to do next blame society since the killer of the couple was a loser. TAKE A LOOK AT MEXICO THAT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET LITTLE CRIMES GO UNPUNISHED. You don’t like the LAPD go to Mexico or Africa whichever suits you best.

1. 2958 says:

Why should we go there! When its the same here LOSER….

2. Just Me says:

And you can go back to Japan.

Balance is needed, extreme balance. Innocent people were killed, taken from their families. Could not the LAPD see that other lives were now in danger? Very sad indeed.

3. Shabba says:

Translation: “I am one of these worthless excuses for an ‘officer’ that everyone is talking about, and now my ego has been bruised.”

Well, perhaps you need to step up and start leading your colleagues by example. In other words, a little more thoughtfulness – a LOT less meatheadedness. Pronto.

14. deej says:

ok #1- Kau, don’t be an idiot…..the desk officer was referring to their “role” in the incident, not their “importance.

#2- Yes the LAPD and EVERY police department needs to reexamine their pursuit policies. Is it really worth the lives of innocent people to chase a bad guy??

#3- It is first and foremost the blame of the bad guy running from the police and secondly the fault of the administration of the LAPD that allows their officers to chase people….

15. Ralph says:

ThE LAPD does have it’s problem but don’t blame the whole department.Besides who would you called if you needed help.

1. 2958 says:

Ghost busters!!!!!!

16. josue says:

he was not just a random person, he was a good friend and coworker. we will miss you dorsey. from ur second family s.a.c.u (airport police)

17. Shabba says:

Police ranks could be cut in half, easily. Much better quality of life for all, much improved budgets for the municipalities, a lot less feeding into contrived, destructive industries.

18. Darlene Dean says:

Mr. and Mrs. Kelvin Dorsey, you will be greatly missed by your US Postal family. May comfort your family during this time.

19. Juanita Wash says:

KD, you will forever be my brother. I will miss you and Demetria. I am thankful for the lifetime of memories that we shared. Tell Jerry I said hi.

Your Sister,
    Neet
    Juanita Wash

20. LYNNE MOORE says:

WOW!!!!!!!SUCH A TRAGEDY!!!!!! MAY GOD BLESS THEIR FAMILIES AT THIS TIME OF BEREAVEMENT. THANKS DEMETRIA FOR BEING MY FRIEND. RIP- LOVE YOUR POSTAL SISTER LYNNE

21. tnkr says:

I am on both sides of the spectrum. I have a brother who is an police officer and also worked with the person that was killed in this horrific accident!!! If the police were chasing someone that had just done some harm to your family would you not want them to be caught?! But then again I feel great sadness for the family of the deceased couple, as I see how it has affected my brother!! The one to blame it the drunken individual (or whatever he was) that hit this vehicle that killed this wonderful couple. No one else!!!!! May God give their family strength and peace.

1. DRC318 says:

I saw that accident on my way home. My heart goes out to the family. May God bless you all with his peace and comfort during your time of sorrow.

22. J.Walker says:

Kelvin and Demtria we’re going to miss you both. Player it was a great pleasure knowing you both. your Lawa brother Walker.

23. RBE says:

I was there, it was a horrific accident. LA Fire Dept did a fantastic job with a really tough extrication, using the jaws of life, etc. It took them 30 minutes to get her out of the car. She passed away at the hospital a few hours later. The driver who was fleeing police appeared to have minor injuries.

1. Don Shag Marshall says:

of course the drunk never gets hurt! They should have executed him on the spot!

24. Lissa says:

This is a very tragic loss. The only one to blame is the idiot trying to get away from the police. The LAPD officers were doing their job.

To the family, friends, and co-workers, I pray that you have strength to get you through this most horrible time in your lives.

25. Josh Butts says:

Why is a lot of people blaming LAPD? Do we know how far behind the police were behind the suspect? They could have been right on their bumper or half a mile away. If the police stopped the pursuit this still might have happened. The suspect would have kept gunning it to make sure he is far from the cops. None of us were there to see how far away the police were in the pursuit. Anyway this guy needs to get the death penalty! But he won’t sand will probably just spend the taxpayers money with life in prison. So sad.

26. Pray Worrior in Blue says:

Signs, Signs are everywhere. People wake up. We are absent from the Body, now we are present with the Lord. The Dorsey are in the presence of the Lord now. Blame here lies with the Evil Devil thats walking the face of the Earth. I am a LAPD officer, and i’m sure every officer at the crash site feel the pain of the family.But I ask those who believe in and know God. Pray for the family and pray for this World. We are all living in the Last Days Can you SEE the Signs all around you, Can you see them. RIP Mr and Mrs Dorsey, I will see you in Heaven.

Peace and blessing to all who reads this.

JC

27. Steve says:

Officer Dorsey, served with lax airport police SACU department for many years. He was a professional. Rest in Peace Officer Dorsey.

28. Sean Hart says:

The Police are not to blame for this tragic incident, They were doing what YOU PEOPLE pay them to do. It is the fault and responsibility of the suspect that they were pursuing. If you were driving around and saw this suspect driving recklessly through red lights the first thing you would say is where are the POLICE when you need the, right ???
    Well, ladies and gentlemen, the POLICE were there and acted appropriately, and did what the police do. CHASE BAD PEOPLE.
    This is truly a tragic occurrence, but put the blame where it should lay, this is not an LAPD problem, it is societal.
    After reading some very ignorant and misinformed comments it makes me so happy to be retired from Law Enforcement so that I do not have to deal with you IGNORANT PEOPLE any more. THANK GOD FOR PENSIONS.
    AN EX COP

29. nancy says:

These idiots will not refrain from drinking and illicit drug use. They go about killing innocent people. If you do not care about life, don’t kill others, please. Some people want to leave to serve God while others want to leave to corrupt the world. May these people who suddenly lost their lives on the hands of some animal rest in peace and the God Almighty comfort their loved ones……Amen

30. Andrea Parker says:

I know God Cares, Don’t be mad at God , for he love you and yours today and forever, let’s trust him now more them ever befor ok he will show you why? I know he will. We will see them again oneday soon , I know your hurting , but be Strong , be Brave and trust God because he don’t Lie , and he loves and cares about you! I am praying for us all , but most of all for you and your Family.from Charlie Jr. Andrea Parker and Family

31. Tax Payer says:

First, if you don’t pay taxes, you don’t pay the salary of the police; ie are on welfare or some other socially-funded program.
    Second, what do you expect an officer to do after seeing the suspect fleeing after committing a felony crime? If you were just beaten with a baseball bat and told the officer “There he is” would you expect him to chase him? If he didn’t you would be complaining about that.

32. T Taylor says:

It was a pleasure to get to know you and your family .. love you guys

33. Chris says:

It is sad and tragic for not only the family of those killed, but the officer’s who have to live with it also. The Officer’s did their job. The majority of folks would have stopped when the Officer’s turned on their lights, but the moron in the car decided not to. Since the moron was driving recklessly and running red lights before the pursuit started, the moron would have most likely ran the red light and killed them had the Officer’s not been in pursuit based on what had occurred before the Officer’s saw them. The moron needs to pay, and should be charged with murder. You can never comfort anyone who has had a personal loss, these are 2 folks can never be replaced, and will always be remembered. I don’t know the family, nor the Officer’s, nor the moron, but the first 2 should be in everyone’s prayers, and the third should be held accountable for their actions.

34. J E MIKELL says:

THE DORSEYS WILL BE MISSED BY US ALL, KELVIN WAS A HARDCORE LAKERS FAN AND WAS ALWAYS HAPPY AND FUN LOVING. OUR THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU AND WE WILL KEEP YOU IN OUR PRAYERS
    LAWA PD SACU LAX

35. P.B. says:

Interesting that many people are blaming the LAPD when the article states, “it’s not clear if he was aware police were after him.”

We are merely consumers of news without all of the facts; without those facts we are only assuming. Assuming and jumping to conclusions demonstrates ignorance.

My deepest sympathies to the friends and family of the Dorsey’s. May they rest in peace.

36. TJOHNSON says:

It hurts so bad that 2 wonderful ppl died in tragic way…Ofcr Dorsey u was like family to me always kept it real …u always made my day with ur smile laughter and wonderful personality….May you and ur wife RIP watching ur children and grand children ….SACU will never b the same ….MUCH LUV MISS U MUCH BLESSING

37. Ruiz. A says:

Today in the locker room i looked to the right, but you’re no longer there. Just can’t believe you’re gone. Pa-ner, you will be miss. RIP from your friend Ruiz. A

38. yazmine says:

this couple parented my friend who goes to my highschool:/ there daughter is only 16

39. D. Taylor says:

WOW! ……I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS.
    This was a man with a true zest for life, and for him and his beautiful wife to go out this way truly hurts.
    He will be missed by many many many people, but I will say I learned from him to live life to the fullest, and do with a big smile on my face. Much love from your “patna” Dee.

To the family please draw off the love so many have for you guys and Kelvin and Demetria. Blessings

40. T. EDWARDS says:

RIP KELVIN AND MEICY DORSEY! ALL I CAN THINK IS THAT THE LORD IS TAKING THE GOOD ONES FIRST, AND LEAVING THE WICKED BEHIND. KELVIN, YOU WERE A GOOD PERSON IN HIGH SCHOOL AT LOCKE HIGH, AND I KNOW YOU WERE A GOOD PROVIDER FOR YOUR FAMILY. FROM: YOUR ALAIN LEROY LOCKE HIGH “SAINTS” CLASSMATE. SEE U WHEN I GET THERE.

41. Ronice says:

uncle kelvin we all will miss u and ur wife, i hate we have to have another tragic in our family but God has opened his arms wide open for the two of you

42. Hanson says:

I had a vision of this very exact accident weeks before and especially on Dec 30, going into Dec 31… Wow, i just didn’t not know the connection and where it was coming from. All i did was prayed with my prayer partners. Wish i could have voiced it. I get visions like this all the time and sometimes there is no connection.

1. Christina T says:

@ Hanson… Would it be possible for us to talk via email or phone. I am Kelvin & Demetria’s niece. Uncle Kelvin was my uncle on my father’s side. Just interested to hear more about your vision and to thank you for praying, because I believe that is the BEST thing you could have done. Thanks!

1. stephanie singleton says:

Christina this story of your family has really touched meand my prayers go out to you and your entire family. I have been doing very instensive research on finding someone in the family I could reach out to in effort to extend a gift to thier youngest daughter ( De’Shaunna) in efforts to help bring a smile to her face as she find peace and understanding during these coming days.
        I am hairstylist in the Burbank area where I have a salon (suite) . I would like to set up a Pamper/beauty day for her. In addition I am currently directing a Comedy stage play in Hollywood and would like have her their as our special guest. I can offer more details upon your reply! I hope to hear from you and Thanks for your help Christina

43. Hanson says:

I am very sorry to hear what happened to your uncle. This is so unfortunate. I am praying for your family..

44. sickntired says:

When police are chasing criminals through the public streets, they are just as guilty as someone that randomly shoots a gun through a crowded room. Only the weapon of choice is a vehicle driven by a crazed criminal. Lets stop pointing fingers NOW and find a balanced solution so that no criminals get away and no more innocent loved ones lose their lives!!!!!!!!! RIP MR. and MRS. Dorsey.

45. We all Love you ,and will be praying for you God give you Peace.

46. regular joe says:

Just speeding? Ok, no chasing…but how do you know the speeder didn’t just rob anyone? Then, I say chase…just give the police that option to make a judgment call like that instead of doing nothing.

Remember this formula? Decades of policia doing nothing = Mexico today.

Everyone is the victim here. RIP to the victims who suffered the most. Knowing that the police is around is deterrent enough and good enough for the regular Joe like me.

47. Eldridge Thomas Currie says:

A similar thing happened in Vancouver, BC Police allege the man, 32, pulled out a handgun and fired several shots during an argument with the doorman of the Barcelona Lounge on Granville Street. How bloody dumb muest a person be to do such a thing?