Local

Electrical Problem May Have Caused Strip Mall Fire

View Comments

SHERMAN OAKS (CBS) — A fire at a Sherman Oaks strip mall may have been caused by an electrical problem, a city fire official said.

The fire, which was reported at 7:42 a.m. Sunday, broke out in the 15000 block of Ventura Boulevard, Erik Scott of the Los Angeles Fire Department said.

Rescuers arriving on scene reported smoke coming from the center unit, he added.

“The origin of the blaze appeared to be from a unit that contained beauty supplies,” Scott said. “Flames extended to the adjacent businesses on both sides as well as the attic.”

The incident turned into a “major emergency fire” and more than 130 firefighters were sent to extinguish blaze, but the first 60 rescuers on scene had the flames under control in 42 minutes, Scott said.

Officials said the cause of the fire appears to be electrical, but an investigation was ongoing.

No injuries were reported.

(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,440 other followers