Rave Events At LA Coliseum To Pass Security, Planning Checks

Ban lifted in Nov. after teen's death

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Rave events can still be held at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and the adjacent Sports Arena, but organizers will be required to submit detailed security and operational plans at least two months in advance for review by the Coliseum Commission, the panel decided Wednesday.

Coliseum Commission member Rick Caruso made a motion to re-impose a moratorium on raves that was enacted in June after 15-year-old Sasha Rodriguez, who attended the Electric Daisy Carnival at the Coliseum, died from complications of Ecstasy intoxication.

The commission voted in November to lift that ban.

But Caruso eventually agreed to a suggestion by commission member and county Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky, who said rave organizers should be required to submit plans 60 days in advance so the commission can review them. The commission would then determine whether to issue permits for the event.

Coliseum officials said there is only one rave planned at the venue between now and June — the Electric Daisy Carnival.

On Tuesday, Yaroslavsky and Supervisor Don Knabe, who is also a member of the commission, called for a new set of safety measures at all electronic music festivals. The measures are based on recommendations included in a Nov. 5 Department of Public Health report put together with help from police, promoters and public health officials.

The safety measures suggested by the report include:
— requiring rave-goers to be at least 18;
— giving wristbands to anyone 21 or older, so that concession workers could tell who was old enough to drink alcohol;
— instituting “cool-off” breaks during the show;
— closing all raves down by 2 a.m.;
— briefing event staffers about drug overdose symptoms and heat
exhaustion; and
— requiring that medical personnel be on site in case of an emergency.

Public service announcements would be made, and warnings about Ecstasy and other drugs would be given out.

Coliseum General Manager Pat Lynch said earlier that the commission lifted the ban based on reviews of how raves were successfully handled Aug. 21 and Oct. 23 at the Sports Arena. Permits for those raves had been issued prior to the moratorium being imposed.

About 80 people were arrested at the Love Festival at the Sports Arena, and 16 people were treated by paramedics or taken to hospitals. At Monster Massive in October, about 40 people were arrested, and 16 people treated for medical conditions.

(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

  • ZevNeedsAnAdvisor

    So…if we ended these parties at 2am all along I suppose the deaths that occur before that wouldn’t have ever happened. What a joke.
    Zev….its not working bro, your bad ideas are going to cause more death.

  • S

    How does 80 arrests and 16 medical emergencies constitute a “successfully handled” event?

    Call my crazy, but if those numbers showed up at a football game, basketball game, concert, or any party they would deem the event nearly horrific.

  • Saber 1

    Let them party for days on in. Supply all the drugs for all party people. They die and thin the herd and hence won’t polute the gene pool.

  • Richard

    How many people died of alcohol poisoning and drunk driving that night? Why don’t we also shut down all the bars and nightclubs?

  • rockyriot

    I’m extremely thrilled these events will continue. You would think those who pose as “concerned citizens” would be for having these events in a secure location with proper security and medical attendance versus having these events in an abandoned warehouse. Overdoses will occur everywhere, so stop acting so damn shocked. I’ve been to many different music festivals and have seen people being trampled on, beaten severely in mosh pits and others highly intoxicated (and keep in mind these events are 21+), so don’t act like grown adults don’t get out of control too. People know what they’re getting themselves into when they attend these events, only those who are smart know how to live through it.

    • mister s

      Your last sentence is exactly why these events should be held in abandon wharehouses or at other undisclosed, unsecured locations. Survival of the fittest. If someone goes to these events and gets injured or suffers an overdose….. oh well. No need to have the city supply police or medics because these people know what they are getting into, they can drive their fellow ravers to the hospital on an as needed basis. If violence breaks out…… again, thy knew what they were geting themselves into. Holding these events at booked venues just raises to many questions of liability. Let the ravers overdose, die, and lay there until the bodies are discovered the next day, doesn’t hurt the rest of us. Now if the police want to set up a DUI checkpoint about a half mile down the exit road………..

  • ginny25

    If our elected officials are going to allow these raves (not concerts),then along with all of the other requirements needed 60 days in advance, how about requiring a very large cash bond also from the rave sponsors for any venue damage, surrounding area damage, additional police and emergency personnel, etc. I am sure that comes ourofour taxpayer pockets right now.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Sandwich Generation

Listen Live