Too Cold To Run? Fitness Expert Says ‘Suck It Up’

Freezing temps may throw off exercise routine

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — A record cold front throughout the Southland is sure to make this Thanksgiving holiday one of the coldest in recent memory, and with a hard chill in the air and turkey in the belly, it can become very tempting to put off our workout days.

But one fitness expert says that’s a dicey decision.

Winter fitness author Dr. Lavinia Rodriguez tells KFWB’s Maggie McKay even when the temperature drops, you should continue with your regular workout regiment.

Experts say you may want to stick with fitness machines to begin strength and conditioning exercises, as you can begin with light weights and work your way up the program prescribed for you on a variety of devices.

Also, be sure you are stretching adequately and also check with your doctor before starting any workout program.

(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. lala63 says:

oh noooo … “dicey” for me not to run??!!! I’m just gonna die if I don’t RUN! uh…….NOT!!!!!!! How stupid. I think I’ll live.

1. lalas in idiot says:

oh shut up lala63 they never claimed you need to run over the break to survive, just that if you want to keep up your fitness you should keep your routine over winter.

2. 4mindbodyspirit says:

Gotta walk off that holiday meal now.

3. "RJ" says:

hmmm….maybe you ought to come up where I live in the mountains where it was a very brisk 22F this morning. Instead of running outside, I headed to my local gym and got on the boring yet much more comfortable tread mill. Why suffer?

4. John Wayne says:

I guess I’m doing good, ran 8 miles in 78 minutes about two hours ago. I’ll do 6 more in the early am.

5. bige says:

nice going Duke.
    beach run 4 me

6. bikerman42 says:

Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Snowing heavily right now and hovering a few degrees below freezing. Looking forward to tomorrow when it’s supposed to get up around 45 degrees which is normal for here at this time of year… sometimes I miss LA.