Woman Charged In Metro Train Track Death

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A homeless woman has been charged with murder for allegedly pushing an 84-year-old woman off a train platform and onto the tracks in Los Angeles.

The district attorney’s office said Tuesday that 44-year-old Jackkqueline Pogue is being held on $1 million bail. She was not immediately arraigned.

The victim, Betty Sugiyama, and her 86-year-old sister, Mary, were walking on the platform Sunday morning when Pogue allegedly stood up and pushed the victim off the platform.

Mary Sugiyama tells The Associated Press that the assailant remained calm, expressionless and didn’t try to run away after the attack.

The sisters were part of a larger family of Japanese descent that was sent to a Wyoming internment camp during World War II.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. ReginaM says:

Psychotics walk among us. Nobody is safe.

2. Hal says:

The police used to round these people up and place them in facilities where they could be helped. Then along came the ACLU screaming that this practice was violating the rights of the mentally ill who choose to live on the streets. What about the rights of their victims?

1. Marcus says:

Sorry, it wasn’t the ACLU at all. Many different groups tried for years to convince the public that too many people were wrongfully committed to mental hospitals. Reagan solved the debate once and for all by turning off the funding and shutting most of them down. Why are you more concerned about a “victim” here than there than the plight of thousands of mentally ill homeless people who suffer every day?

1. Hal says:

Maybe because at one time I lived in a homeless camp up in the San Gabriel Mountains. I was lucky because I had a camper to live, I know many aren’t as fortunate. Still I did notice that many of the people were perfectaly happy with their situations. No commitments, no rules and no responcibilities.

Ever notice what happens when the authorities step in and break up those camps? They hand out vouchers for shelters and offer all sorts of aid to those willing to acept. Most refuse any sort of help and move on. I’ve been there dude a lot of these people choose to live the way they do.

I’d be willing to bet that the attacker has family who tried and tried to reach out ahd help her…but time and time again there were all the lies, broken promices, rules and who knows what all else. Finally they gave up. I’ve seen that too.

3. CM says:

This is such a sad story. I feel so bad for the woman who was murdered and her sister. Its just very hard to hear stories like this.

4. S P Dudley says:

How do you know she was nuts? Perhaps it was racially motivated.

5. Well she’s not homeless anymore…she goin to the Big House!

6. Fred says:

My mother was attacked by the same women. She was arrested and released. The system is broken. The officers told us there was not much they could do, not unless we pursued charges against the homeless, ill women. We should have pursued further and Betty may have still been alive. My condolences to Betty’s family.

1. Michelle says:

Hi Fred,

Can you give me more description of this woman? Because I was assaulted at the same metro station a few months ago by an African American older lady who was homeless and mentally unstable. I am trying to figure out if it’s the same woman. I did call the transit police but did not press charges. If it’s not the same woman, I am thinking about pressing charges to avoid a tragedy like this from happening again. I wish they released a picture of Jackkqueline. Thanks.