LAPD SWAT Team Searches For Man Who Fired At Police

SYLMAR (CBS) — A SWAT team and police dogs continued to search for a man who reportedly fired a round of shots at a police officer Sunday morning.

The officer wasn’t injured in the attack, but a bullet hit a patrol car.

By 3:15 p.m., authorities had taken apart a police perimeter ending an eight-hour-long ordeal for residents of the apartments on Paddock Street.

“The perimeter is being broken down right now,” LAPD officer Karen Rayner said. “They did not find the suspect within the perimeter, so the search will continue but that will come down.”

The shooter was described as a clean-shaven Latino male who “appears to be 16,” Rayner said, adding that he was wearing a black beanie with an NFL logo on it, a black long-sleeved T-shirt and gray baggie ‘Dickie’ pants.

It was unclear which NFL team logo was on the beanie, Rayner said.

The Los Angeles Police Department said the incident began when an officer with the city of San Fernando spotted a suspicious man in the 14100 block of Paddock Street.

The officer slowed to see what the suspect was doing hiding behind a parked vehicle. As the officer drove past, the suspect shouted a derogatory comment at the officer, pulled a handgun from his waistband and fired at least one round, hitting the officer’s vehicle.

The suspect ran into a nearby apartment building, where a perimeter was set up by 8 a.m. and a SWAT team and canine units were brought in to look for the suspect.

“We were on citywide tactical alert,” Rayner said. “We downgraded at 12:45 p.m. to just modified tactical alert for the Valley Bureau only. We had enough resources and needed to free up the rest of the city.”

(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. melissa says:

what does the man look like!?! the swat tam is in my appatments and i will have to leave my house soon.id like to have a desscription of the man to know who to run from or avoid!??!

2. Katherine Siordia says:

Thank for finally posting something! I have been waiting since early this morning to find out what is going on and the Police won’t let us leave our house.

3. Angelica Yanez says:

Did they catch him already?

4. FRANCISCO says:

The picture is not Sylmar area. That is the Staple Center…..

5. David says:

I think I know who that teen was… I don’t him very well but I know who he is…

6. Veronica says:

I do understand that this is a critical issue, but what I dont understand is that police can make a big scene for an officer getting shot at (not killed). But when it comes down to a citizen they cant make the same effort to look for the shotter. I know that this was done for the protection of others but officer should show the same precaution for the citizens. Dont just make reports about citizens getting shot or anything. Officers should reacted the same way to citizens they was they reacted towards officers.

7. Katherine says:

I agree with you Veronica and even said so much to my husband last night. I still think regardless of who this idiot shot at, that the residents of the homes & apartments and employees of the businesses affected by the lock-down should have been informed by use the reverse 911 system, text message and/or prompt new reports on the local stations that were broadcasting at the time this happened. None of that was done. It wasn’t until this article that I even knew what happened and by then I had been listened to the helicopter and been stuck in my home for well over 5 hours. And even then, I didn’t get a text message until nearly 3pm from LAPD about the incident that actually included a description of the moron who decided to shoot at this officer.