Father Makes Emotional Plea After His Son Is Gunned Down

PICO RIVERA (CBS) — A father is asking for help in solving the murder of his 17-year-old son, who was gunned down in Pico Rivera.

Robert Andrew Velazquez, 17, died at the scene of the shooting, which took place at 10:50 p.m. Monday in the 4000 block of Zola Avenue.

The teen, a junior at El Rancho High School, lived about a block away, according to a relative.

Jose Velazquez said his son, who is not in a gang, was mistaken for someone else.

Anyone with information about the case was urged to call the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500; or Crime Stoppers, (800) 222-TIPS.

(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. cecy says:

Rest In Peace Robert love and miss you already. You will never be forgotten.
    Wish I could see you one last time, so unexpected why do the greats have to suffer?Rest in Paradise “Big Rob”
    Forever your friend

2. D says:

What a beautiful comment. I did not know this young man and yet I do as I look in the face of my own children and grandchildren. My heart aches for his family.

3. Josh says:

RIP Robert

Another story of stupid a-hole gang members shooting the wrong person because of mistaken identity.

4. al says:

This gang members are cowards and any fool can shoot a gun..they only do that because they don’t have the guts to fight with their fist. I can’t wait till they catch the idiots that took the life of this young man…they know what they did and I am sure they have seen the news reports and know they can’t hide forever…Hey cowards!!! You will be caught!!!…trust me u will be caught!!

5. Jackson says:

Sorry about your son Jose…

6. Renden says:

My prayers go out to the Family suffering for a seseless act !!! I pray that God takes away their pain and suffering and may he punish those animals who took their beloved son !!!

7. cecy says:

Thankyou, Its so hard we are so young and he is the first friend i’ve ever lost to something like this he was only 17. I wish I could have saw him one last time he was a great person and always made your day..I just wish he was around to still do that :// We miss and need him already..

8. the jimenez family says:

R.I.P lil Robert such a fun kid youll be missed deeply

9. Nanci says:

Robert was a sweet boy always nice and polite.. it is a tragedy that his young life was taken away so senselessly. My heart aches for his family. May God give bless them and give them peace .