Boy, 5, Fatally Shot While Showing Off His Halloween Costume

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles police say a 5-year-old boy who was killed in a Halloween shooting was the victim of a gang turf war.

Detective Chris Barling tells The Associated Press the boy was shot in the head Sunday afternoon by gunmen who thought members of a rival gang lived at the boy’s South Los Angeles home.

His grandfather has said Aaron Shannon Jr. was showing off his Spider-Man costume Sunday in the backyard when two men appeared in the alley, opened fire and fled.

The boy was shot in the head and died at a hospital Monday. His grandfather and uncle were grazed.

Police say the family has no gang ties.

A $75,000 is being offered for information leading to suspects in the case.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Mufon says:

Where are the details of the “community activists” calling for immediate justice, a thorough investigation and retribution for brutality? Oh, that’s right, it’s just criminals shooting citizens and children, not a police officer shooting an armed suspect, not a big deal. Never mind.

1. I'm Watching says:

My thoughts exactly… so sad.

2. FLF says:

Just south central LA – that don’t matter much anymore except to corrupt officials like Maxine Waters!

3. RLW says:

This country of ours is ever so prejudce. South central is not only browns and blacks many many whites and asians live in the NEIGHBORHOOD! Whomever did this will be caught very soon. So sad no reason to be so bored with your life to walk around killing innocent women, men, children. What goes around comes around!

4. swhit says:

My thoughts go out to the family. RIP little one.
    May all you gang members get what is due you and soon.

5. FERN says:

I would like to pitch in on the reward!!!!

6. sirflying says:

Maybe it is time for average citizens to take out Gang haunts with firebombs and a little gunfire of their own.. If the police can’t get rid of the vermin and protect us then it is time we did it ourselves ….

7. sam says:

I’m a forty four year old man and in my time I have seen on the TV news thousand of what should be unspeakable acts of murder void of concious or refrain, traumatized families left in a living nightmare of shockingly merciless life taking and the lowest forms of cruel and just svil intentions. In all of this time I have never been so caught off guard by the event of Aaron Shannon Jr. in his little Spiderman costuem just being a five year old child playing with his family in his own backyard. I’m a forty four year old man and for the first time in my life the TV news has made me cry. Maybe I’m just getting old , Maybe I’m just getting soft. ” He never got to go trick or treating and he died the next day, maybe he just wanted some candy.”

8. Audrey Simmons says:

It just amazes me how LAPD can be right there to give an innocent man a ticket for trying to make sure his 6 year old grandson doesn’t have to walk through traffic to get to the school entrance, but they’re no where to be found to stop an innocent killing of a 5 year old playing in his own back yard minding his own business.

9. Audrey Simmons says:

I see now why America has gangs. The police are never around to protect innocent citizens from horrific crimes, so the citizens have to band together to protect themselves.