Food Stamps Are Out, Cal Fresh Program Is In

LONG BEACH (CBS) — Food stamps are no longer. In California, its now a nutrition and health and wellness program – the Cal Fresh Program.

California authorities are rebranding the food stamp program in an effort to erase the stigma associated with taking advantage of the federal program.

California Food Stamp Program Rebranded: KNX 1070’s Bill Cooper reports.

More than 3 million Californians receive the benefit every month, but only about half of qualified Californians actually take advantage of the program that can provide qualifying low-income families with as much as $200 in free food.

Its not the first rebranding effort. A few years ago, Congress renamed the food stamp program to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP.

(TM and © Copyright 2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Comments

1. College Grad says:

Where do i Sign up!

2. EAT ME WHITEY says:

we get $600 in free food every month, thanks to taxpayers, HAHAHAHAHA

1. Rea eyers says:

Well make sure you always fill out the QR7 because we’ll be waiting for you when you reapply. You think we are stupid but we know what you do and we are always on the look out for you to slip up and put you behind bars like the rest of your family

2. Rawlings H says:

You are just another race baiter
      Most persons on Assistence are WHITE

3. Overjoyfull says:

LOL your laughing cause you get 600 in free FOOD! OMG really well enjoy sponging off the goverment and being on welfare for the rest of your life.
      I will enjoy my paid car my House that I own! not rent and my coach and Vera Wang shoes, and my carribean vacation I do every year. ENJOY your free food!!..lol..

and say for me to your family who are in jail! or should be… you can visit your mom and dad soon.

1. Kat says:

I was just like you, until I lost my job and have now been out of work for a year and still looking (as I am continously told that I am too over qualified.) I finally had to apply for these benefits as I didn’t qualify for anything else (as I own my home too) and have a family to feed (single mom). I also had to sell my “designer” things as you realize how little they mean to you….Don’t ever judge because in these days…you just never know……

2. Rob Dell says:

Kat, any employer who tells you “Over Qualified” really is either age discriminating or race discriminating. I get it all the time. Except Jet Propulsion Laboratory who told me right to my face that I didn’t meet their “Diversity” requirments….meaning I am too White to get a job there. Nice to see racism is alive and well under the name of EEOC.

3. dianne sanchez says:

some family need this assistance dont judge it might be you who need help one day

4. ReginaM says:

I get the $200/mo and I’m very grateful. I’m a 99er and in a place I never thought I’d be. I don’t care what they call it. Without food stamps I wouldn’t be able to eat.

5. JB says:

ReginaM – Then how can you afford internet?

6. gmoore says:

REALLY!!!!!!! Now more people can spend it in the casinos and lavish vacations..

1. Rob Dell says:

Don’t forget strip clubs! The illegals in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia makes sure their illegals have plenty of stripper cash in hand.

7. Mary J. Koppel says:

What are the requiements to quallify> ? I am a Senior 81 years of age with an income of approximately 32,000 to 33,000 per year. How can I apply?

1. Woody says:

Mary I called 211 and they set up the interview.

8. Overjoyfull says:

9. Wow, marvelous blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is wonderful, as well as the content!

10. Veronica Pollard says:

Yeah, I applied for cal frsh can’t wait for my first month’s approval, so I casn eat my 5 a day’.

11. Barbara Dewan says:

i saw all the encouraging literature to seniors to please apply, and standing in line at 80 years of age got to me, so l applied. They gave me $16 and l have $4400 going out on dental this year and an aarp health insurance plan of $2600 a year. This totals 1/4 of my income and yet Cal Fresh denied all my medical expenses on a regulation they quoted as “payments must be made directly to the provider monthly” l looked up the regulation and it doesn’t say that at all. l recently gave my car to the food bank which sold it for $700 and yet l cannot get kegak deductions taken off my $16,000 income. The appeal board is no help either, just quoting what the denial letter said. So that is why 60% of senior who qualify for Cal Fresh DON’T get it.

12. Rob Dell says:

The illegals got tired of the plain old free food. Now they will get the expensive, “Organic” food that you can’t afford to buy. It’s not bad enough that the illegals are getting freebies illegally and cashing EBT cards at casinos and strip clubs and selling foodstamps on the street for cash or using EBT cards to eat aexpensive restaurant meals at Taco Bell, El Polio Chicken, Pizza Hut, Olive Garden, Red Lobster…etc while you pay for it and tighten your belt, cheating your AMERICAN kids out of a decent diet. No, it’s got to be taken to new and much more ridiculous lengths at your expense.