If you’re looking for some natural, healthy homemade treats for your pup, check out the recipes below. There are options for all ages of dogs and special snacks based on the health of your pet.
Peace, Love & Pitbulls
Southern California and Las Vegas
Tino Sanchez is the founder, owner and president of the non-profit organization Peace, Love & Pitbulls (PLP), and is referred to worldwide as the “pitbull whisperer.” His dog training expertise has been featured on “Dr. Oz,” “Good Morning America,” in “American Dog” magazine and “Caesars’ Way” magazine. Sanchez is one of the top pitbull and larger breed trainers and specializes in training rescue pitbulls from shelters all over the world.
Contact your veterinarian prior to feeding ill pups any of the recipes listed, and feel free to reach out to Sanchez regarding recipes designed specifically for age, size and health circumstances.
Suitable for all ages of healthy pups and even more beneficial for ill dogs.
- 1/4 cup organic, raw, unrefined, non-GMO coconut oil
- 1/4 cup organic, gluten-free, lactose-free, soy-free, shellfish free, nut-free, non-GMO turmeric powder
- 6,000 – 9,000 mgs of organic, gluten-free, lactose-free, soy-free, shellfish free, nut-free, non-GMO omega-3 fish oil (Krill Oil Fish Oil is best but omega-3 fish oil is fine)
- 1 teaspoon organic, gluten-free, non-GMO flaxseed
- Three large or six small, organic, gluten-free, non-GMO anchovies/sardines
- In a bowl, mix coconut oil, turmeric powder, 6,000 – 9,000 mgs of fish oil (cut tip of capsule open and squeeze the oil out), 1 teaspoon of flaxseed and anchovies/sardines.
- Pups can eat mixture right out of the bowl, or you can add the mixture to cooked meat, cooked veggies or cooked rolled oats. For healthy pups, one serving a day on whatever raw meat, raw veggies or out of the bowl, and for pups who are ill, two servings a day is appropriate.
Appropriate for pups of all ages and health levels.
- 2 cups filtered/purified water
- 1 cup organic, gluten-free, or non-GMO rolled oats
- 1/3 cup organic, raw, unrefined, non-GMO coconut oil
- 3 ml organic, gluten-free, non-GMO, sugar-free pure maple syrup
Related: Best Dog Parks In OC
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Bring 2 cups of filtered/purified water to a boil.
- Add 1 cup of rolled oats and stir well (lower heat and occasionally stir for 20 mins. You want oats to be very soft.).
- Remove oats from heat, cover and cool.
- Once oats cool, add coconut oil and mix well.
- Let sit for 15 minutes and mix oats and coconut oil again (should be thick and sticky).
- Roll in into “rocks” (golf ball size) and place on cookie sheet.
- Use a dropper to drop 3 ml (basically 3 full-size drops) of maple syrup on top of each “Rocko.”
- Place on middle rack of oven and cook until outside of “rocks” are golden and crispy.
- Remove treats and let fully cool. Serve no more than two treats per pup each day. You can use these snacks as a “you did a good job” or an “I just love you” treat.
Should only be served to healthy pups of all ages because of the raw greens.
- one handful of fresh, organic kale
- Break kale into small pieces and serve every other day.
Related: Best Dog Runs In OC