The 4th of July is fast approaching and people are getting ready to celebrate. Festive cocktails are always a big hit, and the flashier, the better. Someone who knows a thing or two about presentation is David Waddleton, founder of the popular LA bartending service Hot Bartender.
Hot Bartender hooks up your party or event with seriously attractive servers and bartenders who are professional, knowledgeable, reliable and versatile. From backyard BBQs to black tie events, Hot Bartender has you covered. The service also provides flair bartenders as well as GoGo Dancers and Cirque and Aerial performers. Waddleton is an experienced bartender himself, and shook up a few cocktails he knows will be a hit this 4th.
You can check out Waddleton in action on his YouTube channel: HotBartendersLA.
American Moscow Mule
- 2 oz Premium Vodka
- 1 oz Ginger Beer
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- Splash of Club Soda (preferably lime flavored)
- Slices of watermelon
- Add mint leaves and basil leaves into copper mug and begin to muddler.
- Measure out vodka, lime juice and ginger beer then pour over muddled leaves.
- Add a splash of club soda
- Throw in whole blueberries (5 or 6) and slices of water melon (2/3)
- Top off with a few extra mint and basil leaves for decoration and added flavor.
Taste: Moscow mules seem to be very popular in every bar now a days and I imagine most bars will be serving their own rendition of a 4th of July Moscow mule. This drink has a nice fresh herb taste and the berries add just the right amount of sweetness. It is very tasty!
Bombay Summer Sparkler
- 2 oz. Bombay Sapphire East
- 1 tbsp. Honey
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- Club Soda
- 2 dashes orange flower water
- Combine Bombay Sapphire East, lemon juice, and ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Strain into a goblet glass. Stir in honey and orange flower water.
- Add a slice of lemon.
- Add ice, if desired, and top with club soda.
- Garnish with lemon peel and/or a sprig of rosemary.
Taste: This tastes like lemonade with an elegant twist made to quench your thirst. The flower scents in this sets a relaxing tone perfect for a summer day.
Related: Best Rooftop Bars In Los Angeles
- Watermelon cubes
- Kosher salt (to line glass rims, if desired)
- 8 lime wedges
- 3 cups Triple Sec or other orange liqueur
- 2 – 3 cups tequila
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup superfine sugar or powdered sugar
- 5 cups seedless watermelon, chopped
- Freeze watermelon for 1 to 2 hours on a wax paper-lined tray.
- For salted glass rims, place salt on a small plate and rub glass rims with a lime wedge. Dip rims of glasses in salt to coat; set aside.
- In a pitcher, combine Triple Sec, tequila, lime juice and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour 1/4 cup of tequila mixture into blender or food processor with chopped watermelon. Blend until smooth. Combine watermelon juice with remaining tequila mixture. Stir.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Place frozen watermelon cubes in glasses. Pour blended watermelon tequila mixture over watermelon cubes.
- Taste: The pulp from the watermelon makes for a perfect slushy feel for this sweet and salty drink. This is perfect to enjoy poolside on a hot day.
Red White Blue Sangria
Combine: strawberries, blueberries, pineapple into star shapes, 2 bottles of white wine, 1 cup triple sec, ½ cup berry-flavored vodka, ½ cup fresh lemon juice and ½ cup simple syrup in a large pitcher. Chill and serve.
Taste: This makes the perfect brunch drink if you are craving something sweet.
- 2 Ounces gin
- 1 tbsp. Honey
- 1 Ounce blood orange juice
- Dash simple syrup
- 2 sliced strawberries
- 4 slices cucumber
- Muddle gin, simple syrup, orange juice,
- Repeat the same process for strawberries, and cucumbers in martini shaker.
- Add ice. Shake and strain into glass. Garnish with a fresh strawberry.
Taste: These drinks are strong yet sweet.
Related: Ask A Los Angeles Chef: Easy 4th Of July Recipes