By CBSLA Staff

ANAHEIM (CBSLA) — An 18-year-old Anaheim man has been arrested on suspicion of shooting his 17-year-old friend to death.

(credit: Anaheim Police Department)

Zachary Pickrell was arrested Monday, the day after the shooting in the 1700 block of North Holbrook Street. Anaheim police say Pickrell initially told officers he and the 17-year-old boy, whom he identified as a friend, had been the victims of a drive-by shooting.

READ MORE: Woman Says She Was Refused Service At An Encino Dunkin' Donuts For Being Deaf

The 17-year-old was taken to a trauma center, where he died Thursday. His name has not been released.

READ MORE: Illegal Marijuana Grow Bust Nets Nearly 30,000 Plants And Leads To 31 Arrests In San Bernardino

Police say detectives determined there had been no drive-by shooting and that the boy had been shot by Pickrell.

MORE NEWS: COVID-19 Related Hospitalizations Continue To Drop In Los Angeles County

When Pickrell was booked on suspicion of attempted murder Monday, the boy was still on life support. He has since been transferred to Orange County Jail, where he is being held on $1 million bail, and is scheduled to make his next court appearance on Sept. 24.