By CBSLA Staff

ORANGE (CBSLA) — Four people were killed, including a child, in a shooting at an office building in the city of Orange, authorities reported Wednesday. Two others, including the suspect, were taken to the hospital in critical condition.

Police and detectives gather to investigate a mass shooting in Orange, Calif., on March 31, 2021. (Leonard Ortiz/Orange County Register/ Getty Images)

According to the Orange Police Department, at about 5:30 p.m., the suspect, identified as 44-year-old Aminadab Gaxiola Gonzalez, entered the office complex located in the 200 block of Lincoln Avenue, near Glassell Street, and opened fire.

When officers arrived they located multiple victims, including four who had died from their injuries. A fifth person, a woman, was shot as well and taken to a hospital in critical condition.

Gonzalez was also shot and critically wounded. It was unclear as of Thursday morning if the suspect shot himself or if he was shot by officers. He was hospitalized. Police said a firearm was recovered at the scene.

Orange police said the “situation has been stabilized and there is no threat to the public.”

Authorities said Thursday that all of the victims were known to Gonzalez, either through business or personal relationships, though the motive was not immediately clear.

Family members who gathered at the scene of the shooting Wednesday night were awaiting news of their loved ones, including Paul Tovar who said his brother and niece worked in the building.

“I’m scared, I’m really scared,” he said. “I’m just trying to find out his well-being. He’s not answering his phone, neither is my niece. I’m pretty scared and worried.

“I wish I knew more,” he continued. “I ran out just praying really hard.”

U.S. Rep. Katie Porter, whose district includes Orange County, said in a statement that she was “deeply saddened” by the reports.

“I’m continuing to keep victims and their loved ones in my thoughts as we continue to learn more,” she said. “My team and I will continue to monitor the situation closely.”

Authorities said this was the city’s deadliest shooting since 1997.