COMPTON (CBSLA) — Two Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies were shot Saturday night at the Metro Blue Line station at Willowbrook Avenue and Elm Street in Compton, authorities said.

The shooting happened just before 7 p.m. and officials were still searching for the suspect as of 11:20 p.m.

The LASD said the shooter ambushed a male and female deputy as they sat in their patrol vehicle.

A security video of the incident captured by an MTA camera was released within two hours of the shooting. According to the sheriff’s department, “the gunman walked up on the deputies and opened fire without warning or provocation.”

The sheriff’s department said the shooter walked along the passenger side of the patrol vehicle as if he was going to pass it, but opened fire through the window instead. The suspect then fled on foot and out of view.

“To see somebody just walk up and start shooting on them. It pisses me off,” said LASD Sheriff Alex Villanueva in a press conference Saturday night.

The deputies — who work for the Transit Services Bureau and were both graduates of Class 437 and sworn into office about 14 months ago — were able to radio for help and get rushed to the hospital for treatment. They were identified as a 31-year-old mother of a 6-year-old boy and a 24-year-old man.

Screengrab from surveillance video of the shooting of two sheriff’s deputies released on September 12, 2020 by the LASD. (Source: Twitter)

Both deputies had multiple gunshot wounds and were in critical condition. They were transported to St. Francis Medical Center for surgery and met by family and loved ones there, according to the sheriff’s department.

LASD said in a tweet that the deputies were “fighting for their lives.”

Due to the investigation, train service on the Metro Blue Line was suspended.

FBI Los Angeles said shortly after the shooting that is offering resources and is ready to step in to assist local authorities.

President Donald Trump also weighed in on the incident, re-tweeting the surveillance video and saying, “Animals that must be hit hard!”

According to the LASD, one of the deputies who was shot said that the suspect was a “dark-skinned male” but no other information was immediately available about the shooter’s identity.

Compton Mayor Aja Brown said in a statement, “I am devastated to learn of the tragedy that occurred in our city tonight. Both deputies and their families will remain in our prayers. The city will be working with the sheriff’s department as they search to apprehend the individual responsible for this act of violence.”

Fourteen homicide investigators were canvassing the scene to get more information about the shooting, and other authorities said they are hoping to get additional surveillance video evidence as well.

Anyone with information about the incident is encouraged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.

(© Copyright 2020 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. City News Service contributed to this report.)

Comments (29)
  1. Walter says:

DOES IT BREAK ANYONES HEART WHEN DEPUTIES KILLED SO MANY BLACK MEN FOR NO REASON AND GET AWAY WITH IT?
    I BET YOU WONT SHARE THIS WILL U..NOPE…. IT’S OK FOR COPS TO KILL LIKE IT’S A REGULAR THING KILLING BLACK MEN IN GENERAL…BUT WE ARE TO FEEL SORRY FOR COP KILLERS THAT GET SHOT BY A BLKMAN..REALLY NOW..WELL I FEEL SORRY FOR THE COPS FAMILIES, BUT DO THE COP FAMILIES FEEL SORRY FOR THE PARENT OF SO MANY YOUNG BLKMEN THAT HAS BEEN KILLED BY KILLER COPS?

1. Bill says:

Walter, wake up! You can’t actually believe what you’r’e saying can you?

1. TiredofBeingTired says:

I very much doubt Walter’s comment is not that of many other people of color, especially Black people. Where is the outrage when Black male after Black male is killed by police? In this instance by a sheriff’s station proven to contain it’s own gang. Do you not think people are tired of police who are supposed to protect and serve equally according to the law and leaving it up to a judge or jury to decide sentencing but instead hand out death sentences of their own.

2. Walter says:

I DO HOPE THAT GUY GET CAUGHT AND GET LIFE REGARDLESS.

3. KimSMcCart says:

I am making $125 per hour working online on my laptop among my family. I continue doing work in my room talking to them. Its too easy to complete it no experience or skill required. You just need internet connection and PC/Laptop. For more information visit……..Read More

4. KimSMcCart says:

I’am made $84, 8254 so far this year working online and I’m a full time student.I am using an online business. Here what I do,.for more information simply open this link thank you…Read More

5. Ted Heavy says:

When people comment about how many innocent you black men that are killed by police it makes me want to vomit. For every black man killed by a cop there are FOUR white men killed by the police the difference is white people recognize the fact that if you break the law interfere or resist the police bad things are going to happen and it will be on you. And they say things like killing black people will get the same in return trying to make the argument that there is some similarity in a criminal and a cop that is sitting in a car committing NO CRIME. Anyone that thinks that way is just a sick person.

1. SorosSucks says:

This forum has deleted my post elucidating the funding and enabling sources so forgive my coding: For the most part, all this anti-police hysteria is funded by Soar Oas, enabled by corrupt politicians, and perpetuated by Emm Ess Emm. Until they are respectively held accountable, it will continue and amplify.

6. OLIVIA says:

[FOR USA ] Making money online more than $15k just by doing simple work from home. I have received $18376 last month. Its an easy and simple job to do and its earnings are much better than regular office job and even a little child can do this and earns money. Everybody must try this job by just use the info on this page Open The Link……. Click For Full Detail.

7. SorosSucks says:

I noticed my comment was censored and deleted possibly by mentioning Emm Esss Emm or their funder Soar Oas…..despicable mockingbirds.

1. SorosSucks says:

…….but leave the spam intact !!