LOS FELIZ (CBSLA) — A suspected drunk driver hit three parked cars in Los Feliz, and the Los Angeles Police Department just let the man walk away, some residents said Thursday.

A number of Los Feliz residents say LAPD failed to conduct a field sobriety test on this man after he crashed into three parked cars. (Credit: Katy Wicker)

Witnesses said the driver was making a left turn onto Hillhurst Avenue from Los Feliz Boulevard when he struck the vehicles, leaving behind extensive damage.

Katy Wicker, a neighbor who recorded cell phone video of the aftermath of the crash, said the man got out of a wrecked Dodge Charger and tumbled over into a grass median last Saturday afternoon.

“He was completely intoxicated the entire time,” she said. “It was apparent to everyone that was there. He was yelling at everyone. He was yelling aggressive comments at police officers, at the ambulance that was there, at the tow truck driver, and he literally stumbled away.”

Wicker, who knows the owner of one of the damaged cars, said she never once saw an officer give the driver a field sobriety test. And, after the officers left, she recorded the man walking away from the scene.

“We asked him him, we asked them why they didn’t provide him a breathalyzer test, and they couldn’t give us any answers,” she said.

When asked about the incident, the Los Angeles Police Department said officers on the scene make the call of whether to conduct a field sobriety test. In this case, the officers decided not to, leaving neighbors very upset.

“He could have killed someone,” Wicker said. “He could have injured people. He could have done a lot more damage than he did.”

A woman who owns one of the damaged vehicles said she was able to track down the driver’s information through her insurance company. CBS Los Angeles attempted to contact the man, but was not successful.

Comments (15)
  1. MaryJRoberts says:

I am making a good salary online from home.I’ve made 97,999 dollar.s so for last 5 months working online and I’m a full time student. I’m using an online business opportunity I’m just so happy that I found out about it…….. Read More

2. john bell says:

Can we say WHITE PRIVILEGE.

3. TamelaLRowland says:

I get paid over $98 per hour working from home with 2 kids at home. I just got paid $ 8460 in my previous month It Sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it…………………… Read More

4. Pawel says:

My car was hit a couple years ago by a highly intoxicated young latino kid. He hit 2 cars and totalled mine. I saw a 12 pack of beer on the back seat floor, and yet the LA police did not cite him for drunken driving. They said that they asked him to take a test and he refused, and they said there was nothing they could do about it….

5. C.Henzel says:

Where are the REAL cops when needed?

6. I Can't Even says:

From what I understand, they need to give field sobriety test if they suspect a driver is drunk before they can make an arrest. In this case no test is required – the guy can barely crawl. The real question is why they didn’t arrest him.

7. JJ0915 says:

This is Ben Rabbers, and he’s crashed 3 of his cars – all of which are under his GFs name. He lives near me in Los Feliz. I see him smoking outside all of the time when I walk my dog. He was also driving uninsured – which should’ve been a red flag too. Regardless of those specifics, it’s absurd law enforcement let a driver who damaged 3 cars walk away, CLEARLY unable to stand straight for even a few seconds.

8. BornFree says:

Actually the law requires that if there are no other reasons to arrest (injuries to third person, etc) AND the drunk driver involved in the accident refuses a FST (sobriety test), then they can’t force one one him. However, general observations and other evidences are taken and submitted in the report. Once called in the court, the officer will disclose the conversation and demeanor of the drunk driver to prove his state of mind. With video evidence in this case, which trust me the insurance companies of the three cars have already gathered, this will be dealt with ass a DUI case.

9. blane says:

someone should of performed a citizens arrest and or followed the guy with a camera so we can at least know who he is and where to send hate.