NEWPORT BEACH (CBSLA) – City of Newport Beach officials are disputing allegations that their beaches were overcrowded this past weekend amid news that the governor plans to close all beaches beginning Friday amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Aerial images of the Newport Beach coastline taken on Saturday, April 25, 2020, at 2:30 p.m. (Newport Beach PD)

“The overwhelming majority of Newport Beach residents and visitors were families or practicing social distancing,” the Newport Beach police and fire departments said in a joint statement Thursday morning.

Police officers and lifeguards who patrolled the seven-mile stretch of beaches determined that while “some clusters of people” were not following physical distancing guidelines, the vast majority were, the agencies said.

Furthermore, to try and bolster their point, they released aerial photos from a police helicopter that were taken at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, “the peak day of attendance.”

The Newport Beach City Council voted Tuesday against a proposal to close its beaches for the next three weekends.

However, that vote may not matter. According to a memo obtained by CBS News, California Gov. Gavin Newsom is expected to announce the closure of all beaches and state parks effective Friday.

The order comes after Newsom, earlier this week, scolded the thousands of people who descended on beaches in Orange and Ventura counties during the weekend heat wave.

“The images down in Orange County and Ventura County, on our beaches, those images are an example of what not to see,” Newsom said Monday.

“This virus doesn’t take the weekends off,” he added. “This virus doesn’t go home because it’s a beautiful, sunny day.”

While beaches in L.A. County – from Malibu to the South Bay – were closed and empty over the weekend, the coastline of the cities of Port Hueneme, Huntington Beach and Newport Beach were quite the opposite, drawing thousands of visitors.

Huntington Beach police Sunday echoed Newport Beach police, tweeting that “the majority of our beach goers are complying to social distancing.”

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Laguna Beach City Council Tuesday voted to reopen its beaches on weekday mornings only, from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m., beginning May 4.

Comments (5)
  1. Uncle Pat says:

    Power-hungry Gavin Newsom is the nephew of power-hungry Nancy Pelosi.

    They both get their paychecks whether we get a paycheck or not.

    Please remember that at the voting booth

  2. C. Hayes says:

    The governor is contradicting himself. He specifically said that parts of California would be handled differently because of population and location variations. Between the governor and the LA mayor, I’m beyond disappointed. I wish they would both stop talking down to Californians.

  3. Pamela Burtness says:

    Go to the beach they can’t arrest everyone! Also the sunlight is good for us & it kills the virus…we don’t need Calif. nazi Gov. Newsom telling us how to conduct our lives! If we let him get away with this what’s next? Many people loss their lives for the freedoms we enjoy today! Are we going to sit back & let those that think they’re superior & prideful control us?

  4. Steve Hayes says:

    The test-positive rate for OC has been steadily declining – although we find new cases, the rate of finding disease is DECREASING. Over the 3 days of last weekend, across all OC beaches, an estimated 150,000 folks went to the beach and the DATA from OC Health shows NO INCREASE in disease. The Governor claims to be a man of Science – hold him accountable for making science-based decisions!

  5. James G says:

    Newsom should get into the sun and seabreeze where there is no catching of virus too to get out of his ivory tower and see for himself, also to see how easy it is to maintain distance on vast beaches like Newport’s. If the new rich residents don’t like the fact they don’t like sharing the public beaches and parking spots, they can stay inside their mcmansions.

Leave a Reply to James G Cancel reply