FONTANA (CBSLA) — Getting along with the help of a walker, Marcial Reyes was still extremely weak after contracting the novel coronavirus.

“I still have 100% body pains,” he said.

READ MORE: Family Of Man Killed In DUI Crash Outraged Driver Spent Only One Week In Jail

But, the 47-year-old’s spirit has never been stronger.

“It’s not going to damper my desire to help the community,” he said.

The charge nurse survived a brutal battle with COVID-19 that left him hospitalized at his place of work, Kaiser in Fontana, for nearly 30 days.

For 11 of those days, Reyes was in a medically-induced coma and was attached to a ventilator.

“Because my lungs were collapsing already,” he said.

RELATED: San Bernardino County Reports 8 New Deaths, Ventura County Reports New Cases

That was when Reyes said he had a vivid, and terrifying, near-death experience.

“I felt I met death,” he said. “And I saw my mother, I saw my brother, I saw my dad.”

READ MORE: Pasadena Considers Technology To Help Law Enforcement Detect Gunshots

Reyes said he told his family members that he needed to live for his 5-year-old son and his wife.

“Suddenly they left me,” Reyes said.

Reyes said he was treated with a cocktail of Vitamin C, anti-malaria drugs hydroxychloroquine and retrovir, and an antiretroviral medication commonly used to slow the progress of HIV.

“The second day they were giving that medication to me, my fever went away,” he said.

And while he said scientists can debate all day about which of those treatments turned his health around, he had already found the answer to his miraculous recovery in his heart.

“There’s always divine intervention,” he said.

Reyes said he wants people fighting COVID-19 to know that the illness is not a death sentence and wants to give them hope that they too can recover.

“Never give up,” he said.

MORE NEWS: LA County Reports 5 New COVID-19 Deaths; Hospitalizations Hold Steady

Reyes said he has about 15% of his strength back and hopes to return to work as soon as he is well.