LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously Tuesday to allocate additional emergency funding to assist struggling renters and expand tenant protections during the coronavirus pandemic.

County supervisors Janice Hahn and Hilda Solis proposed the program last Thursday that would set up an emergency rental assistance program with Community Development Block Grant funds they hope will be provided as part of the next round of the federal CARES Act.

“As we fight the spread of this virus and do everything we can to save lives, this crisis has devastated families who were already living on the brink of poverty,” Hahn said.

The proposal came a day after city councilman David Ryu launched a renters outreach program meant to help educate renters and landlords on their new rights during the coronavirus crisis.

“The eviction moratorium we have in place has provided some relief, but many families are going to struggle to pay back the rent they owe after this crisis is over,” Hahn said.

Last month, Mayor Eric Garcetti announced the city’s eviction moratorium was indefinite and renters would have 12 months to pay back rent once the COVID-19 emergency declaration is lifted.

Rent assistance through the proposed program would provide rent subsidies of up to $1,000 per month for up to three months for families who have recently lost jobs, though the details have yet to be worked out.

The overall level of funding will depend on how much money is allocated by the federal government and whether that can be matched, in part, by private dollars.

The supervisors hope to acquire funding through philanthropies or private sources.

“Housing stability is crucial for residents both during and after the COVID-19 crisis,” Solis said. “We know the county’s eviction moratorium helps protect renters against homelessness now, but it won’t help them once past-due rent needs to be paid back.”

The emergency rent-assistance program proposal will be voted on during Tuesday’s virtual meeting of the Board of Supervisors.

(© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. City News Service contributed to this report.)

Comments (6)
  1. Yvette Bonilla says:

how do I apply

2. Josie says:

How about offering tenants “rent vouchers” with full rent amount due to pay the rent. This way we can stay in our home and not get evicted. Please approve us for a full rent amount voucher for at least 6 months. By then we should all be back working and able to pay rent on our own.
    Thank you.

3. Christina says:

We were discussing with other tenants and it would be great if we could get “rent vouchers” to pay our rent for at least 4-5 months. We could be willing to provide information on how much rent we pay so we can get that amount on the voucher. This would be a great way to help us stay in our apartments. Please consider this highly. Many of us would be very grateful.
    Thank you again.

4. Harvinder says:

This all money goes to the rich people and definitely they not gonna do nothing for Low income people I make $20,000 in a year total I am play so many please I’ve been rejected I’m about to be homeless I have a three kids total of five people due to the COVID-19 I cannot pay rent I am another one is going to be homeless I called several times to the city I cannot pay rent I don’t have money for food I don’t know what to do and then not doing a bit

5. Margaret Thai says:

For 3 days I called to try to apply for the Angeleno card but could not get through to a live person. BUSY. I woke up super early and was present when the phones where lifted on the dot but to no avail. Frustrating. That is why I am here.

6. MARIA GONZALEZ says: