LA PUENTE (CBSLA) — A mylar balloon that came into contact with power lines caused a slew of problems in La Puente Monday evening.
According to the Los Angeles County Fire Department, they responded to the 700 block of Willow Ave. just after 4 p.m. after the balloon came into contact with some wires causing them to spark.READ MORE: Fox, Hield Lead Kings Over Lakers 141-137 In Triple OT
The power lines then fell on residential structures energizing utilities inside of the homes, causing the gas lines to fail, according to a Los Angeles County fire captain.
Upon their arrival, they found water leaking underground as well as damage to a gas line.READ MORE: LAPD Releases Video Of Officer Using Taser Gun On Man With Sword
At least 39 people were displaced as a result of the gas leak, L.A. County Fire said.
Red Cross was on scene assisting those that have been displaced.MORE NEWS: Black Friday: Another High-End Store Is Robbed, Prompting LAPD To Issue City-Wide Tactical Alert
So Cal Gas was able to stop the leak. No injuries were immediately reported.