MONTEBELLO (CBSLA) — Jose Lara has supported the Los Angeles Dodgers for as long as he can remember.

“You know, it all started when I was a little boy,” he said.

That undying loyalty came to a head when Lara got older, grew a beard and died it blue — becoming one of the city’s most recognized Dodger super fans.

“I’ve always wanted to go to the World Series,” Lara, also known as Blue Beard, said.

That dream became a reality in 2017 as Lara watched in agony as the Houston Astros defeated the Dodgers 5-1 in Game 7 to take the World Series.

“We were sitting above the bullpen,” Lara said.

But, two years later, the Astros have been found guilty of cheating the Dodgers out of that title.

“I went and lived my dream,” Lara said. “Once in a lifetime opportunity, to have it shattered by these guys cheating. It’s heartbreaking.”

Lara said he is now speaking with an attorney about filing a class action lawsuit against Major League Baseball for the money he and other fans spent going to that game — $450 dollars for the ticket, $50 for parking and, he said, he was still calculating the total cost for hot dogs and beer.

“We drank a lot that day,” he said. “I’m not gonna lie.”

Astros manager AJ Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhno were both fired Monday after an MLB investigation determined the team stole signs in 2017 by using cameras, monitors and banging on trashcans.

And, on Tuesday night, the Boston Red Sox fired manager Alex Cora amid an MLB investigation into cheating during the 2018 season, but reportedly not during the series against the Dodgers.

Some feel the former Dodger was the mastermind behind the cheating scandal since he was a bench coach for the Astros in 2017.

“I’m not surprised,” Lara said. “He took what he did in Houston over to them.”

Comments (9)
  1. Steven Denesha says:

My wife and I went to games 6&7 which we paid $5000 in tickets alone. Please keep me informed as we would like to join the lawsuit.

2. Joshua says:

We had 4 seats at game 7 over $4,000 spent. Definitely interested in this as you pay to see a fair game.

3. Jonathan says:

OK, I’ll bite too. My Dad paid $8,000 for four tickets to sit in Reserve 5. Such a shame.

And for the reporter and copy editor, “Luhno” is spelled “Luhnow”.

4. David Powell says:

We got to pursue this, been a Dodger fan since 1982 and moved out of state in early 2017 then finally a World Series so I flew myself and my son to Los Angeles and tickets alone cost me $1500 for the pair. I got airfare, hotel, etc because our Dodgers are worth it!! I want to get reimbursed for the entire trip over $6000 the Astros owe all of us!!

5. Mark Jacoby says:

Count me in, I traveled to Los Angeles from Reno, Nevada ten times during the 2017 season and 8 times during the 2018 season. Let make clear that cheating is not good for baseball and that MLB needs to take away the Astros and Red Sox Titles and all the post season awards the players received! MLB has not done enough to compensate the Dodgers!

6. Emmanuel Cortez says:

Lets do this, I went to game 2 against Astros and Game 3 for Boston world series, shameful on the game, we do need to file suit on this matter, I don’t think ill be going to anymore games though…

7. Javier Sandoval says:

Let’s get the momentum going. Spent about $2,400 for 2 tickets, plus parking and food on Game 7.

8. V. Echeverria says:

I went to 3 games and spent more than I’d like to admit. Please let me know. I want to join as well.

9. JG says:

Is this moving forward at all?…At this point, Manfred has shown he cares little about the fans who ultimately pay the cost for this…