PICO RIVERA (CBSLA) — A fire at a Pico Rivera strip mall left one person dead and a woman with serious burns in critical condition Thursday.
The fire broke out at Top Line Nails, 9302 Whittier Blvd., at about 8 p.m. Wednesday night. Firefighters say the fire started in the attic area, which had been reportedly been used as an employee area where business operations were being handled.
When firefighters arrived, the attic was engulfed in heavy flames. Neighboring stores were damaged, but the fire was put out after 9 p.m.
A body was found in the attic. One woman with serious burns to over 30 percent of her body was taken to a hospital in critical condition, while another man and a firefighter suffered serious injuries.
The man who was killed has not yet been identified, but authorities say the woman who was burned was one of the owners.
Neighbors and friends said the nail salon was a family-owned business run by a couple and their son.
The city manager says a chemical spill caused the fire. A candle is also being investigated as a contributor to the fire.