CANYON COUNTRY (CBSLA) – A brush fire erupted near Agua Dulce Thursday afternoon.
The approximately 3,950-acre fire erupted about 1:42 p.m. near the 31000 block of Tick Canyon Road.READ MORE: Derrick Smith, Beloved Security Guard Killed In Long Beach, Identified As Hit-And-Run Victim, While Suspect Still At-Large
The third-alarm fire was said to be moving quickly downhill threatening some nearby structures.
Super scoopers, four water-dropping helicopters, along with 200 firefighters were called to combat the flames.
At least six homes were said to have been damaged, according to L.A. County Fire, but that number was expected to grow.
One woman watched from below as her home — where she and her daughter cared for a number of rescue animals — burned on a hill.
One large structure was reported to have completely burned near Baker Canyon Road in Canyon Country.
Though evacuations were not immediately issued, the fire quickly made its way near a neighborhood as high winds and dry temperatures helped the fire move quickly, said L.A. County Fire Department’s Sean Rios.
An estimated 50,000 residents were evacuated.
- North of 14 Freeway
- East of Whites/Plum Canyon
- South of Vasquez Canyon
- West of Agua Dolce
- South of 14 Freeway
- West of Sand Canyon
- North of Placerita Canyon
- All communities around the Robinson Ranch Golf Course
Homes to the west of the fire near Santa Clarita were under mandatory evacuation orders near Sierra Highway to Soledad Canyon.
Evacuations were also ordered from Soledad Canyon Road to Shadow Pines Boulveard along the 14 Freeway in Canyon Country.READ MORE: California's June 15 Economic Reopening Has Many Residents Rejoicing, While Others Say They're Worried
***UPDATE*** | TICK Fire | #SantaClarita | MANDATORY EVACUATIONS for all residents North of 14 frwy, E of Whites/Plum Canyon, South of Vasquez Canyon, W of Agua Dolce
Also, South of 14 freeway, E of Sand Canyon, N of Placerita Canyon, and W of Robinson Ranch Golf Course. pic.twitter.com/Jo1SYKiQ5i
— L.A. County Fire Department (@LACoFDPIO) October 24, 2019
- College of the Canyons Gymnasium, 26455 Rockwell Canyon Road, Santa Clarita
- Newhall Community Center, 22421 Market St., Santa Clarita
- Large Animal & livestock shelter: Wayside, 29230 The Old Road, Castaic
- Small Animal shelter: Castaic Animal Care Center, 31044 North Charlie Canyon Road, Castaic
- Schools in William S Hart Union School District closed Friday
- Cal Arts classes canceled Thursday night
- College Of The Canyons, Both campuses Thursday night
- Hart School District in Santa Clarita Valley closed Friday
- Antelope Valley residents heading home tonight – take Angeles Crest Highway from the 210 Freeway to avoid road closures
- Soledad Canyon offramps from southbound and northbound 14 closed for an unknown duration
- All lanes of southbound route 14 at Ward Road in Agua Dulce closed for an unknown duration
- All lanes of northbound I-5 at Parker Road in Castaic
Another brush fire erupted nearby Thursday evening at San Martinez Road and Chiquito Canyon Road in Val Verde.
MORE NEWS: 400-Acre Flats Fire 10% Contained, 2 Homes Destroyed, A Firefighter Injured And Experts Worried About Dry Conditions Across Southland
BRUSH FIRE #Verde | FS143 | San Martinez Rd/Chiquito Canyon Rd #Valverde | AC1 is reporting 1 acre with vehicle and mobile home, E24 & E33 can handle. Additional resources are being reassigned back to #TickFire#LACoFD
— L.A. County Fire Department (@LACoFDPIO) October 25, 2019
The flames were said to have burned multiple mobile homes.