LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — A memorial for slain rapper Nipsey Hussle reopened Tuesday with new restrictions after a stampede that left 19 injured and two more in critical condition.

Hundreds of people were forced away from the memorial in front of The Marathon Clothing store, where the 33-year-old rapper was being mourned by the surrounding Crenshaw and South Los Angeles community. The sound of breaking glass after 8 p.m. sent the crowd running away from the parking lot where Hussle was shot to death on Sunday afternoon.

READ MORE: Three Takeaways From Dodgers 2021 Season, NLCS

Los Angeles police responded in force to the stampede in helmets and armed with batons and non-lethal weapons to force mourners away from the area immediately after the stampede. At least 19 people were injured, mostly from being trampled, including one man who had lost his shirt that had to be carried away from the area and treated by firefighters at another location.

Two people were in critical condition after Monday night’s melee – one was hit by a car, and another had what was called a “penetrating, traumatic injury” from an unknown cause, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

Police reopened the site Tuesday, with the requirement that any attendees enter from 58th Place west of Crenshaw and that no loitering at the site would be allowed. The memorial was also scheduled to close at 10 p.m., according to the LAPD.

(Photo by David McNew/Getty Images)

Many people left the area willingly, but the LAPD gave a dispersal order to 300 to 500 people. Officers formed a skirmish line to force people out, prompting some people to throw rocks and bottles. At least one officer was hurt in the aftermath of the stampede.

READ MORE: 3 Shot In Downtown LA, 1 Dead

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department told CBS2 that 29-year-old Eric Holder was taken into custody by deputies sometime before 1:30 p.m. Tuesday in the 9900 block of Artesia Boulevard. Los Angeles police responded to the scene and confirmed the man arrested was indeed Holder.

Investigators say they believe Hussle and Holder knew each other.

(Photo by David McNew/Getty Images)

“This was not a chance encounter,” LAPD Chief Michel Moore said.

Holder has gang ties, but investigators say the motive behind Hussle’s fatal shooting is believed to be personal.

MORE NEWS: Man Accidentally Discharges Gun, Wounds Neighbor

The intersection of Slausan Avenue and Crenshaw Boulevard will reopen at midnight and close again when the memorial reopens at 9 p.m. Wednesday.