GARDEN GROVE (CBSLA) — A candle left burning on the porch of a house that had been converted into a Buddhist temple sparked a fire that destroyed the building.

The fire was first reported at about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Chua Viet Nam temple in the 12200 block of Magnolia Street. Firefighters who were first on the scene saw heavy flames coming from the attic area.

Firefighters battled the blaze amid festive red paper lanterns hung from the house and thrown to the ground. The temple had been celebrating Lunar New Year just hours earlier.

The fire was under control within a half hour and no one was hurt. The charred house was taped off, but bright fruit offerings, plants and flowers somehow were unscathed by the flames.

“The first day of new year, a thing like this happened,” neighbor Tony Nguyen said. “It’s not a good sign.”

The house was converted into a temple six years ago. Damage has been estimated at $450,000.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s