ANAHEIM (CBSLA) – A bizarre, disturbing and uniquely strange road rage incident played out in Orange County Tuesday and the entire incident was captured on cellphone video.

KCAL9’s Stacey Butler spoke to the victims – a rattled Anaheim mom and her daughter – as police continue to look for the suspect, a man unknown to the victim. He ended up smashing her windshield with his bare hands.

“I’m still scared,” said the mom who didn’t want to show her face. “I’m traumatized that he’s gonna come back.”

She’s traumatized but she said she wants everyone to get a good look at the video her 13-year-old daughter shot during the random attack that occurred around 2:30 p.m.

It happened just after she picked up her children from school.

“I looked in my rear view mirror,” says Veneranda Valencia, “This guy was following me.”

Valencia says a friend was in the passenger seat. Her daughters, ages 12 and 13, were in the back.

She says, without provocation, a “crazed” man in a white Jeep Cherokee followed her out of a parking lot and into the middle of a street in Anaheim.

“That’s when he came on the side of the right of me, and that’s when he cut me off. And then he got out of the car.”

She says she told him to leave her kids alone, and he continued to run towards the car.

“He jumped on my car,” Valencia says, “and he started punching on my windshield.”

(credit: Veneranda Valencia)

He smashed her windshield using only his fists.

“I was just scared that he would pull out a gun or a knife or something,” says Valencia.

She saw the man get back into his SUV and then she called police.

“It never crossed my mind that he would do that,” says Valencia. “Or approach like that. I feel like he’s not in his right state of mind. He needs help.”

Police are continuing to look for the suspect but all they have to go on is a blurred photo of his license plate.

Valencia says she and her friend have no idea who the man is or why he chose to come after them.

Valencia says she is worried because the suspect is still out there and he could be looking for another target.

“He could be dangerous, more dangerous. He could hurt somebody else. I want him caught,” Valencia said.

Police are also scouring the area for possible videotape showing other angles or the vehicle.

If you know who the suspect is, you’re asked to call Anaheim Police.

Comments (43)
  1. Dave Ferro says:

Um… Why don’t the police just look up the license plate number, go to the guy’s house and arrest the idiot? Oh, that’s right: California….

1. Jason Ledd says:

Well, Now you know what guns are for, protection from crazy and dangerous criminals.
      Sometimes they end up working in your own government, and you’ll need a gun for your revolution to free yourselves from evil controllers in government.
      Don’t wait to be killed by crazy, protect your life with a gun.
      If guns are good enough for police, its good enough for you.

2. How about you read the story? She only got a blurry picture of the license plate so the police can’t identify the car or him.

2. Dave Umb says:

he’s still out there and you show HER license plate??? now, he can find her. duh!!!!

3. it’s either “random” or it’s “Road Rage” – can’t be both. What’s wrong with journalists – are they just dumb? I’m thinking road rage AND I’m sure there was some reason for it.

what’s more likely? – some dude driving around looking for someone “at random” to pounce on the hood and smash the window – or – she cut him off and stopped in the middle of the street to pick up her kids not giving a flying F*** about anyone around her and the dude snapped?

Might have been having a bad day already and after 15 different people are rude and obnoxious, sometimes #16 takes the brunt of the abuse.

4. Rob Bruce says:

What did she do? He just started to do this for no reason? I don’t believe it. Maybe he has kids in his car and she nearly killed them with her crazy driving. Fact is stranger than fiction.

5. D Patrick Dewey says:

Whatever might have happened between them before the man broke her windshield he’s the one in trouble with the law now.

6. Brad Kaplan says:

She has NO IDEA why he did what he did? Really?

1. Samuel Green says:

Brad, there’s always two sides to every story, but events like this are why I installed a high quality front and rear Blackvue dash camera. I once caught a elderly man in a Cadillac broadsiding a loaded school bus.

The authorities blamed the bus driver for running the red light. But my dashcam clearly proved he did not. In fact neither the bus nor the Cadillac was at fault. The fault was the stop light controller, that day both the bus and the Cadillac had green lights.

I anonymously provided my camera’s microSD card, and that same day technicians replaced the faulty controller.

7. Samuel Green says:

Luckily the state I live in allows law abiding citizens to keep non lethal devices as well as traditional firearms via Castle Doctrine legislation.

In my vehicle I keep a X26 taser, a can of Fox Labs 5.3 and a sidearm. Obviously lethal force is NOT warranted in this situation, but a quick squirt of pepper spray if this caveman’s actions escalated, could have incapacitated this lunatic until police arrived.

My vehicle also has a Blackvue dash cam so there never is a ‘he said, she said’.

A few years after retiring from the US Army, an armed home invader came to visit the home I was at a dinner party. That scenario was fodder for lethal force, and having a legally acquired sidearm saved live that day, including children.

8. Jason King says:

Isn’t it funny how you can tell how someone voted by their appearance and demeanor?

9. Rod Hardin says:

They are both huge fatties.

10. she was being attacked….. use the accelerator. pedal to the medal.

11. Ethan Wayne says:

Not buying that she did nothing and the “crazed man” just attacked. I’ve seen her type many times, texting while driving, cutting people off, etc. No excuse for what he did though.

1. Benjamin Dover says:

Agree with you. We are only ‘seeing’ her side of this event. Remember the students from Covington Catholic last Friday?
      Think it’s another media headline grabbing fabrication.

12. That guy needs to learn how to say “I’m here illegally” in spanish so they will let him go when they find him

13. Rerun Danger says:

she knew what she did… must have been bad if she wouldn’t tell news.

14. She should have “floored it” when he was on the hood.

15. John Payton says:

Just an example why people in the Las Vegas valley where I live conceal carry a handgun. I would have shot that idiot right through my windshield and someone would be having a funeral this week.

16. Steve Hollar says:

This big piece of festering garbage needs to be arrested real quick. We don’t need things like him on our roads.

17. Johan Lapje says:

Try that when I am behind the wheel and you get a ride to morgue.

18. Zane Salubria says:

let’s see;
    a tall obese bearded balding white man jumps
    out of a white jeep Cherokee in Anaheim california…
    and this man uses his right hand to pound on the
    windshield of another person car after cutting them off
    and forcing them to stop. Once he is satisfied in the
    damage he created, he leaves.

What we have here is a person who likes to get even.
    Clearly needs his license revoked. this behavior is unacceptable.
    next time people could die or be severely injured. If she is in the
    wrong, then why didn’t he report her to the police? Because he knew he was in the wrong.

19. Umberto Cellini says:

>”She says, without provocation”

SHE says. What does HE say?

What do the facts show?

This is likely another “white Catholic boys harass totally innocent heap big Chief Drumsinfaces of the Fourteeth tribe” edited-to-deceive video clip.

Sounds like Me2 madness, too. You know the scam: a YOUNG Ms. Thang uses her sexuality (casting couch, etc.) to get ahead of plain-janes and male competitors; then…when older and turning stomachs instead of heads…she claims she was assaulted-peppered-marinated while a pure-as-the-driven-snow innocent naif.

20. Norman Vance says:

Too bad she didn’t have a gun for self defense.

21. tngilmer says:

Check the ERs. I bet he broke his hand.

22. Greg Coe says:

He broke that windshield with his bare hands?!? That alone is quite a feat. Reminds me of the movie Vacation.

Son: “Wow Dad! You broke that windshield with your bare hands”
    Dad: ” Rusty, that’s not something to be proud of.”
    Dad under his breath “Yep, I broke that windshield with my bare hands”

23. Safelite repair, Safelite replace.

24. Tony Smith says:

“He came out of nowhere”???!!!! That means the woman driver pulled out in front of him. But she’s pure and innocent right?! As Borat would say, “Because she girl.”

25. Sabrina Davis says:

Why in hell didn’t she get his tag number???

26. Emoh Nur says:

I believe California has some of the worst drivers and driver etiquette in the country. This woman did something to trigger this overreaction and she hasn’t got a clue or is not saying what she did. He on the other hand was dead wrong to jump on her car and smash her windshield no matter how much better it made him feel.

27. jbrickley says:

Plenty of oblivious drivers out there who never have accidents but they sure do cause a lot of them. Like some idiot crossing 3 lanes of highway to exit short but stopping in the middle half way across causing a tractor trailer to jack-knife and second one as well. While the idiot completes the lane crossing, cuts over the shoulder and exits the highway, literally fleeing the scene of an accident! The roads now blocked by crashed trucks and cars. The slow or stop before changing lanes, entering the highway, or taking a turn is a classic dumb move that causes lots of accidents.

She likely cut him off rudely without even knowing it.

28. Tommy Lewis says:

Wouldn’t it be wonderful that if California she would have pulled out her .45 and flashed it at him? He would have gotten back in his car and left. Her windshield intact. Soon people in CA. will not be able to own guns. Pathetic.

29. Chris Appel says:

channel 9 shows the victims license plate…BrillianT!

30. Anna Sarghini says:

Probably fractured his ulna

31. Keith Panco says:

There was once a time in the country when people waved at one another after a near miss. Then they went on their way. Now they use their vehicles as weapons, and hunt each other down.

32. Dan Weaver says:

It was a white Cherokee? Elizabeth Warren on the war path?

33. Ingrid Alsop says:

LOL, I’m sure he left zero fingerprints…
    I’m sure he was completely unprovoked right???
    If someone jumps on your hood and pounds on your windshield… Hit the gas petal, then the brakes. Problem solved.
    She says he cut her off, but his car is parked on the side of the road, and she is in the middle. Why didn’t she just drive off? (too mouthy?)

34. Small timy women in trucks love to pretend they can merge in and out of traffic so often then it has been deemed aggressive driving. They are the types that are in the far left lane only and they want to make a right turn. Or many times they drive ok but when making any kind of turn on the road it must be done at only 2 mph so they do not jiggle their fat stomach.