LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) – Some of the wealthiest people on the planet live in California, according to Forbes’ list of the 400 richest Americans released Wednesday.
Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos ended Bill Gates’ 24-year run atop the ranking with a net worth of $160 billion, up an astonishing $78.5 billion from last year, Forbes said.READ MORE: Krispy Kreme Offers Free Doughnuts To Seniors Who Show Up Wearing Cap And Gowns
Forbes reports the group’s total net worth rose to a record-high $2.9 trillion.
The net worth of the average person on the Forbes 400 list rose half a billion to a historic $7.2 billion. The minimum net worth needed to join the club climbed to a record $2.1 billion – $100 million more than the previous year, Forbes noted.
Fifteen newcomers joined the list, three of which are Californians: Lynsi Snyder, the heiress to burger chain In-N-Out, with a net worth of $3 billion; Drew Houston, CEO of file-sharing company Dropbox, with a $2.7 billion net worth; and Chris Larsen, co-founder of Ripple which facilitates bank payments using blockchain technology, with a net worth of $2.1 billion.READ MORE: LASD Deputies In Standoff With Kidnapping Suspect After Dangerous Pursuit Ends In Palmdale
Ten of the youngest ranked live in the Golden State, including Snyder and Houston.
The Forbes 400 members under the age of 40 who live in California are:
- Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg, age 34, net worth $61 billion
- Facebook co-founder Dustin Moskovitz, age 34, net worth $10.9 billion
- Airbnb co-founder Nathan Blecharczyk, age 35, net worth $3.7 billion
- Airbnb co-founder Brian Chesky, age 37, net worth $3.7 billion
- Airbnb co-founder Joe Gebbia, age 37, net worth $3.7 billion
- In-N-Out Burger CEO Lynsi Synder, age 36, net worth $3 billion
- Dropbox CEO Drew Houston, age 35, net worth $2.7 billion
- Facebook’s first president Sean Parker, age 38, net worth $2.7 billion
- Snapchat co-founder and CTO Bobby Murphy, age 30, net worth $2.3 billion
- Snap co-founder and CEO Evan Spiegel, age 28, net worth $2.3 billion
A whopping 92 California residents were ranked on the elite list.
The top 10 richest Californians are:MORE NEWS: USC Annenberg, ViacomCBS Announce New Scholarship To Promote Diversity In Newsrooms
- Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg, net worth $61 billion
- Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison, net worth $58.4 billion
- Google co-founder Larry Page, net worth $53.8 billion
- Google co-founder Sergey Brin, net worth $52.4 billion
- Apple’s Laurene Powell Jobs & family, net worth $20.5 billion
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk, net worth $19.6 billion
- Real estate developer Donald Bren, net worth $16.4 billion
- Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt, net worth $14.4 billion
- Facebook co-founder Dustin Moskovitz, net worth $10.9 billion
- WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum, net worth $9.6 billion
Click here to see the full Forbes 400 list.