WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Jim Mattis says he confirmed Thursday that the nearly 850 immigrants currently serving in the military or waiting to start basic training won’t face deportation despite the ongoing federal wrangling over the fate of people who came to America illegally as children.
Mattis says he called Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and was told that those military members and all veterans who were honorably discharged will be safe unless they have committed a serious felony or a judge had issued a specific deportation order for them.READ MORE: ‘Ted Lasso,' ‘The Crown’ Win Big At Sunday's Emmys
President Donald Trump said in September he was terminating the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which provided protection from deportation for people brought to America as children who are living here illegally.READ MORE: Pfizer Vaccine Safe For Kids 5-11, Study Finds
Previously, officials said the military members’ status wasn’t clear.MORE NEWS: Grieving Family Looking For Killer Of 22-Year-Old Alejandro Legaria Rangel In Huntington Park
(© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast rewritten or redistributed.)