HUNTINGTON BEACH ( — A man killed by police during soccer practice at the Huntington Beach Sports Complex has been identified as Steven Schiltz.

The shooting happened around 7:30 p.m. Thursday as dozens of children and parents watched in horror.

The 29-year-old man, armed with a baseball bat and a broken bottle, was charging towards a crowd, when two officers shot and killed him under the bleachers, according to witnesses.

Police received “multiple calls of a man armed with a bat and a broken bottle chasing children and other people around the sports fields while sporting events were taking place,” according to Officer Jennifer Marlatt.

Tom Hester, who has known Schiltz for three years on the streets, said he recently talked about suicide. “He seemed like he was having mental problems. He had a bad alcohol problem,” Hester recalled.

Norman Harboldt, who had hired Schiltz to help build sheds on occasions, said he had never seen the violent side of Schiltz.

“I can’t believe that was him because I’ve never seen him do anything like that. I’ve never seen him get crazy like that,” Harboldt added.

Schiltz’s mother, Angela Hernandez, was granted a temporary restraining order against her son in February of 2013. The court order also forced Schiltz to move out of the house, according to court records.

“Steven will threaten his family members with knives, baseball bats, pool sticks, pool balls, chairs, and basically anything he can get his hands on,” his mother said in the restraining order application.

“Steven Anthony Schiltz, my son, harassed me and threatened his family for hours at no end of stopping,” she continued in the restraining order application. “He continues to drink alcohol heavily and possible illegal drugs too. However, he also has a medical marijuana license, which he frequently consumes on a daily basis. As a family we have tried numerous options to help him with his addictions and abuses, but he declines our advice and/or suggestions. We are now at the point of seeking police protection because his abuses are escalating to levels that we can no longer accept or handle.”

Schiltz was also known to “pick up his bike and physically throw it in the streets when passing cars are coming by,” his mother said.

“He has mentioned that he would commit suicide on several occasions,” she added. “He has also threatened to kill us all on several occasions and/or destroy property.”

Schiltz had a long criminal history. In May 2008, he pleaded guilty to drunk driving.

In May of 2009, he pleaded guilty to petty theft, was sentenced to 10 days in jail, ordered to perform 50 hours of community service and placed on three years of informal probation.

In August of 2012, he pleaded guilty to drinking in public.

In May of 2015, he pleaded guilty to two counts of disobeying a domestic-relations court order and was sentenced to one month in jail.

As part of the plea deal, he admitted to threatening his mother.

Schiltz had a warrant out for his arrest for failing to appear in court on a drinking-in public-charge.

It was issued on Sept. 2 after he failed to attend 30 self-help meetings, according to court records.

(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)


Leave a Reply