HOLLYWOOD (CBSLA.com) — A man admitted Wednesday that he destroyed Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

A video posted on Deadline Hollywood shows James Otis smashing the star in the 6800 block of Hollywood Boulevard early Wednesday morning.

The footage shows Otis, dressed as a construction worker, repeatedly swinging a pick ax and a sledgehammer at the terrazzo to remove the brass star and letters.

“It went flying as soon as I started hitting it, and then one letter came out. A few more letters came out,” said Otis.

He planned to auction off the pilfered pieces to raise funds for the women who have recently accused Trump of sexually assaulting them. “Somewhere between $1 and $2 million. It’ll all be donated to these women,” he said.

Los Angeles police said the star itself was worth about $2,500, which makes the destruction a felony.

It is not clear Otis knew he could not auction off stolen property.

Otis said he committed vandalism to put the spot light on sexual abuse. “I decided that I just sort of had enough of the sexual abuse and the sexual misconduct towards women. I realized that was [were] many women in my own life who’ve experienced that sort of sexual abuse. So I said I’ve got to come up and do something.”

He said he was well aware that what he did was a felony and not worried about going to jail. “I’ve been to jail many times. I’ll do my time,” Otis said. I’d like to pay for the damage certainly and anything that they feel is reasonable. I’ll honor them.”

He even said he had planned to see his lawyer and turn himself in to police Thursday.

Repairs on the star are already underway and should be ready to be unveiled a second time in about a week.

The Trump campaign called the vandalism part of a continuing pattern of intolerance fueled by liberals and the Hillary Clinton campaign.

Trump was honored with the star in 2007, while producing and starring in TV’s “The Apprentice.”

Donald Trump, the producer of "The Apprentice," poses with his wife Melania and their son Barron after he was honored with the 2,327th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood on January 16, 2007. (Photo by GABRIEL BOUYS/AFP/Getty Images)

Donald Trump, the producer of “The Apprentice,” poses with his wife Melania and their son Barron after he was honored with the 2,327th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood on January 16, 2007.
(Photo by GABRIEL BOUYS/AFP/Getty Images)

Trump’s Hollywood Walk of Fame star has been targeted repeatedly since he first became the Republican front-runner and eventual nominee in the presidential race.

The star was previously defaced with a spray-painted swastika and the image of a mute symbol. Others took more extreme measures — one man recorded himself urinating on the star and another person tweeted a picture of a service dog that had just defecated on it.

In July, a street artist who goes by the name Plastic Jesus, erected a “border wall” around the star, in reference to the nominee’s proposal to build a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico.