SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — California regulators are re-opening a settlement that left consumers responsible for paying $3.3 billion in costs for closing the San Onofre nuclear power plant.

The Public Utilities Commission on Monday said parties involved in the 2014 agreement can submit new comments on whether the deal should be amended or is still reasonable and in the public interest.

That follows revelations that the plant’s primary owner, Southern California Edison, spoke privately with a PUC president before the agreement was reached. Edison was fined $16.7 million last year for failing to disclose the talks.

Edison says it still believes the agreement is in the public interest.

The deal allotted $3.3 billion in closure costs to ratepayers and $1.4 billion to shareholders of Edison and San Diego Gas & Electric.

(© Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s