WESTMINSTER (CBSLA.com) — The Orange County DA’s office on Monday formally charged a 19-year-old Anaheim man with inciting a riot at the Donald Trump rally in Costa Mesa last week.
Officials also said Fernando Alarcon threw an object at a CHP patrol vehicle causing damage during the melee on April 28.READ MORE: Fall Quarter Begins At UCLA, Bringing Students Back to Campus For First Time In More Than 18 Months
Other arrests made by Costa Mesa Police Department have not yet been submitted to the DA’s office.
Alarcon is charged with one felony count of vandalism with damage over $400, and one misdemeanor count of inciting a riot. If convicted, Alarcon faces a maximum sentence of three years in Orange County jail.
The defendant was arraigned Monday afternoon and is being held on $25,000 bail.
Alarcon is scheduled for a pre-trial hearing on May 9, at 9:00 a.m. in Department W-12, West Justice Center, Westminster.READ MORE: Pfizer Vaccine Safe For Kids 5-11, Study Finds
The CHP said Alarcon was observed inciting the crowd — seemingly leading a group of people blocking the street and traffic.
The CHP said Alarcon ran toward a second CHP vehicle and yelled “[Expletive deleted] the police!” He is accused of then reaching into his pocket, taking out an object, and hurling the object at the CHP officer’s patrol car. The CHP officer heard a thud and observed an object that lhe said ooked like a rock or roof tile fall to the ground. As a result, the vehicle sustained damage over $400.
Alarcon was subsequently arrested by CHP, who investigated this case.MORE NEWS: ‘Ted Lasso,' ‘The Crown’ Win Big At Sunday's Emmys
Deputy DA Jess Rodriguez of the Special Prosecutions Unit was named prosecutor in the case.