STANTON (CBSLA.com) — Hundreds of lizards, snakes and other reptiles were being transferred to an animal shelter after a pet store went up in flames in Stanton.

About 50 firefighters responded after flames broke out about 8 p.m. Wednesday at the store in the 10500 block of Beach Boulevard.

READ MORE: Omicron Variant Outbreak Reported In Berkeley Among People Already Vaccinated; Cases ‘Mildly Symptomatic’

Residents apparently saw smoke and dialed 911.

“I heard everybody saying, ‘Oh, there’s smoke. The reptile room is on fire,’ ” said Rigoberto Castillo, a witness. “So, they just told me to call 911.”

READ MORE: CHiPs For Kids Toy Drive Kicks Off For 2021

“We were watching for like 5-7 minutes. It was going like more and more, bigger and bigger,” said Sam Shawket, another witness.

Firefighters said some reptiles suffered smoke inhalation.

MORE NEWS: Furniture From Set Of 'The Conners' Offered In Charity Auction

There was no word yet on the extent of the injuries, nor the cause of the fire.