LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com/AP) — The FBI director says the husband-and-wife team who killed 14 people in San Bernardino communicated privately about jihad before they were married, but there is no evidence to suggest the couple posted publicly on social media about it.
James Comey spoke Wednesday at a New York City security initiative with private businesses, where he said Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik communicated online before they met in person, during which they discussed a mutual commitment to jihad and martyrdom.
Farook and Malik are believed to have communicated as far back as late 2013 – before any physical meeting between the two – according to Comey.
The FBI announced last week the Dec. 2 attack was being investigated as an act of terrorism.
According to Comey, investigators are still looking into several aspects of the attack.
“One of the things we’re tyring to understand is where were they four hours after the attack, what else, if anything, they were planning to do, and was there anybody who helped them or assisted them or supported them in some way,” he said.
Comey also said the July 16 attack in Chattanooga on two military sites where five U.S. service members were killed was terrorism. The FBI had previously hesitated to call it a terror attack.
Comey says he understands Americans are jittery, but citizens should try to channel their awareness into vigilance, not panic.
The White House announced Wednesday that President Obama will meet with the families of San Bernardino shooting victims on Friday.
(TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)