LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A sugar-substitute can have deadly side effects if consumed by dogs, officials said Wednesday.

CBS News has learned the sweetener Xylitol — which is used in sugarless gums, sugar-free candies, chewable vitamins, some baked goods and even peanut butter — brings potential danger to canines.

READ MORE: NFL, LA County Go On Public Education Blitz To Block COVID From Super Bowl Festivities

Xylitol is safe for humans to ingest. However, it can cause low blood sugar, seizures or even liver failure in dogs.

In fact, the ASPCA reports it’s poison control center received more than 3,700 calls in 2014, compared to 82 calls in 2004.

READ MORE: Cold Weather Alert Issued For Antelope Valley

Now, animal welfare groups are fighting to have warning labels added to products that contain Xylitol.

Veterinarians urged dog owners to check the labels of all products that say sugar-free within kitchens.

If any products contain Xylitol, they should be moved out of reach and put on the top shelf of cabinets.

MORE NEWS: Newsom, California Lawmakers Reach Deal To Bring Back COVID Sick Pay

For more information, click here.