Pizzoccheri alla Valtellinese
House-Made Buckwheat Pappardelle Tossed with Braised Savoy Cabbage, Roasted Garlic, Fried Sage, Yukon Potatoes and Bitto Cheese Fondue
1/2lb. Buckwheat Flour
Water (as needed)
Salt (to taste)
2 cups Savoy Cabbage, cleaned and chopped
1 1/2 cups Russet potatoes, diced in small cubes
2 cups Bitto cheese (Fontina if you cannot find Bitto), diced in small cubes
1 cup Butter, unsalted
3 cloves Garlic, minced
6 each Sage leaves
For the pizzoccheri pasta:
1) Sift the two kinds of flour together to create a smooth blend of the two types.
2) Add pinch of salt and then begin kneading into the flour mixture water. Keep adding water until dough is a firm, consistent texture.
3) Roll dough out on cutting board and cut into 1″ x 5″ strips.
For the sauce:
1) Bring to boil 2 quarts of water, adding salt to taste.
2) Boil the potatoes and cabbage for approximately 10 minutes.
3) Add the pizzoccheri pasta to the same pot and boil for 8 minutes more.
4) During this time heat up the butter, garlic and sage until completely melted
5) Drain the pasta and vegetable mixture then add the cheese and butter-sage sauce