SAN CLEMENTE (CBSLA.com) — Pedro’s Tacos, a mainstay in San Clemente for nearly 30 years, was damaged Friday in an early morning kitchen fire.

The family-owned business at 2313 S. El Camino Real caught fire about 2:40 a.m., according to Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Steve Concialdi said. Firefighters had the blaze under control just before 3 a.m., he said.

READ MORE: Pedestrian Struck and Killed In Compton

“Our guys were bummed when they heard the address,” Concialdi said.

The accidental fire was contained mostly to the kitchen, where the blaze originated, but it caused about $20,000 in damage, Concialdi said.

READ MORE: Jerry West Insulted At Being Left Off Jeanie Buss’ Top 5 Lakers List

“It’s a staple of San Clemente,” Concialdi said of the restaurant, which opened in 1986 and specializes in fish tacos. “For many years, surfers and residents go there before going to the beach.”

The family opened another location in the city’s downtown in 1996, and has since expanded to Fallbrook, Oceanside, Vista and one out-of-state eatery in Boston.

MORE NEWS: Cache Of Fireworks Worth $50,000 Seized From Santa Ana Home

(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)