LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Three firefighters suffered minor heat-related injuries Wednesday while battling a stubborn fire that burned through the roof of a strip mall in Monterey Park.
The second-alarm fire was reported around 7:41 a.m. along the 100 block of Moore and Garvey avenues, according to Verdugo Fire officials.
The fire apparently smoldered in a relatively inaccessible area of the common attic of the structure before penetrating the roof.
Crews were still working to completely douse the flames as of 1:45 p.m., according to a fire dispatcher.
Several area fire departments assisted Monterey Park personnel in battling the flames.
Garvey Avenue was closed between Chandler and Ynez avenues, and Moore Avenue was closed between Garvey and Emerson avenues.
A portion of a nearby power line briefly caught fire during the blaze.
No injuries were reported.
(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)