MICHIGAN (AP) — Police say a 64-year-old golfer from Ohio has died after being stung at least 20 times by bees as he searched for a ball in woods in northern Michigan.
Michigan State Police Sgt. Mark Tamlyn says Darryl Dever of Powell was pronounced dead Wednesday after having trouble breathing.READ MORE: LAFC Welcomes Back Fans For Season Opener Against Austin FC
MLive.com reports that Dever and a friend — a doctor — were golfing together at Treetops Resort’s north course when Dever went into the woods. Tamlyn says the bees came out of the ground, stinging him at least 20 times in the head, neck and shoulders.READ MORE: Cudahy City Council Calls For Release Of Body Cam Footage In Deputy Shooting Of Isaias Cervantes
Dever had no known allergy to bee stings, but Tamlyn noted that enough stings can be fatal even to someone without an allergy.
Treetops Resort is near Gaylord, about 200 miles northwest of Detroit.MORE NEWS: Estranged Husband Suspected In Woman's Stabbing Death At Santa Clarita Home
(© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)