COMPTON (CBSLA.com) — Compton Fire Department Chief Jon Thompson has been placed on leave pending an investigation into compliance with key lifesaving devices.
Deputy Fire Chief Bryan Batiste says the removal of four defibrillators from the department’s trucks and ambulances shouldn’t worry residents.READ MORE: LA City Council Considers Motion To Achieve Carbon Neutrality By 2030
Batiste told CBS2/KCAL9 county regulators ordered the removal last week after fire officials couldn’t provide documentation showing some firefighters had been properly trained to use them.
“We have identified where the breakdown was in terms of the training and the continuing [education] and so the county and Department of Public Health … is working with us,” he said, adding, “Since we’ve taken them off, there hasn’t been any type of calls where we would have used them within the last week or so.”READ MORE: Video Shows North Hills Hit-And-Run Crash Which Killed Infant Boy In Stroller
Fire Capt. Rick Roman emphasizes that paramedics carry advanced equipment that can deliver different voltage on cardiac-arrest patients.
Thompson was placed on administrative leave at Tuesday night’s City Council meeting.MORE NEWS: Man Killed, 2 Injured In Violent Gardena Crash
Officials say the investigation is continuing.